New rabbit staring me down and attacking carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBones

Reaction score
My husband and I adopted a 1.5 year old male silver marten who's not fixed (yet!) on Tuesday (so about 4 days ago). When my husband is home he stays in his cardboard box we have in the living room that he plays in. My husband and I are very quiet and laid back so sound is not an issue but he hides all the time. He comes out and grooms, eats, and uses his litter box late in the evening and even does a few binkies. But tonight he has acted like a tazmanian devil! My husband is gone to work so its just me and the rabbit and he hasn't wanted to be touched or anything since we've gotten him. We have tried all kinds of treats and gentle talking but he hasn't been very interested in any interaction. Tonight however was a TOTALLY different story! He came out to groom and eat and everything so when he finished eating I sat on the floor and proceeded to watch tv and eat some raisins which he took interest in and came pretty close to inspect which was a first so I shared (I may have shared too much though =( I gave him four or five and was able to touch him a little bit. A little bit later I sat on the couch because I got uncomfortable on the floor and he started running around like crazy and jumping through the air. He appeared to be happy so I wasn't worried, binkies are normal (I've had an indoor rabbit before and an outdoor so this isn't my first) but he is my first male rabbit... so then he started staring at me and furiously biting and pulling at the carpet! I clapped and firmly said "no" and he stopped the first time. He has continued the entire night for about 3 hours and is now ignoring my clapping completely. He stops when I start to get up but seems to even be ignoring that now! I have started picking him up and holding him or petting him when he does this and he stops for about 5-10 minutes and then does it again. He does it no particular spot, he does it anywhere. I don't know if its an, "I need attention" thing or an "I need neutering" thing or something else all together. He has plenty of hay and everything so I'm not sure what to do. We have just found a rabbit vet and will be contacting him on Monday about having a visit but I'm trying to find out what to do in the meantime. Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the long explanation!

I don't know how much help this is, but Hershey used to do the same thing (he is/was neutered). He stopped because we redid the room and now have hardwood floors!

When we had carpet I'd do what you did, clap, etc. then put a piece of newspaper over the spot that he was pulling on. He's go to pull on the carpet, get distracted by the newspaper and start digging/playing with that instead.

Ha!.. I love that when bunnies ignore your scolding :D They just build up antibodies against lecturing. The arrogant way these little cuties dismiss us when they want their way is precious.

I just gave up, If you scold or intervene too much, they'll start to hate/or fear you. I haven't found an anti-chew spray thats worth a darn either. some might block 'em for a tiny bit, but they get over it and all's your eventually doing is adding tasty salad dressing to the problem.

I told my spoiled little princess, You go ahead and destroy the house, big daddy will just buy you a new one! Lol.. Thats the REAL solution!

My aggressive bunny Digdug still chews carpet and stares me down with angry honks almost 8yrs later,.. and I love her to pieces. I also love the way she attacks my hand if the treats in the treat bag dont roll out fast enough!! Greeeedy!

Angry buns aren't the end of the world! Learn to love your p*ssed off little friend no matter what.
Angry Honks for everyone! Merry Christmas!
15790_180338_210000002.jpg

My little guy just decided the spay is tasty too! Thankfully he only focuses on one single area of carpet. It's the corner of the doorfram into our bedroom, which is the only place he isn't allowed to go.

He's so mad it's the only room in our home he doesn't have access too. My fiancee has yet to learn how to put clothes int he hamper and he gets made when the rabbit gets in a chews his nice clothes. So he just shuts the door and claims it his mess land. The General does not agree with this!

Sounds to me like he wanted you to come sit back down on the floor and give him more raisins!

We had a problem with Gus digging/chewing the carpet at our old place. It wasn't until a few months before we moved that I figured out he wanted me to come sit with him and pet him! :p

Rue

Hahah I was going to say he wants more raisins! lol

Nugget does this a lot. The comment about scalding to often and him becoming resentful might be the case here....Nugget doesn't seem to love me as much as he used too :( But I can't let him dig up the carpet :( and I would never keep him caged up.

I read about spraying the carpet with purfume, I have also used 'shake and vac' It seems to work short term. Man these bunnies are hard work

If somebody has found a perfect, long term anti-chew spray/rub, that they dont build up a resistance to, then please come forward and share.

Sweetie chews up the carpet every time she is out of her cage. I try to give her a lot of attention when she is out. I think that I may try the suggestions on here. I will even look for a spray that will work to get her to stop chewing on the carpet. It just isn't good for her because she will get GI stasis. She has plenty of hay and water. I might even give her some veggies and fruit to chew/munch on.

Latest posts

Back