New Rabbit - Shy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephankne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got a new rabbit from the breeder. I'm sure it's scary for him since his whole world has been turned upside down and he got taken away from his family! He also used to live outside and now he is inside with the family and I'm sure it's much louder than he is used too.

Here is my question: How long should I let him get used to his cage without handling him too much? I don't want to let him be in there too long without picking him up because I want him to get used to being handled. However, at the same time, I want to establish trust with him. He takes off like I'm going to kill him every time I get close to his cage. So far, he hasn't tried to come out of his cage or even look at the open doors.

However, I made a breakthrough this morning and he ate some oats out of my hand! He is ten weeks old so I can't bribe him with fresh veggies just yet. Even with a quick bite, he keeps giving me this face like, "Lady, I hate you. Get away from me!"

My last rabbit was outgoing and not shy at all so I'm new to this type of behavior. Any tips?? :) Thanks!

Spend time in the room next to the cage. You can sit quietly reading a book or on a lap top. You can talk to your bun or read out loud to him so he gets used to your voice. You can try hand feeding pellets and even hay. Let the bun get used to you being around and eventually his curiosity will get the better of him. He will then approach to investigate you. Keep some pellets handy to give him then.

We bought a rabbit about 2 months ago and I went through the same thing. I'd say it took about 1 week (or a bit longer) before I could pick him up with relatively little fuss ... I know it was far longer than the 24-48 hours I've read about. One thing that helped was to wait until he was in a corner. I'm right-handed, so some corners gave me a better angle on him than others. I would then place my left hand on top of his head, sort of over his eyes. Didn't press down or anything, but just placed it there. That would settle him somewhat. Then I'd scoop him up with my right hand under his front paws, moving my left hand from his head to supporting his butt.

Time and patience are the keys. We have had some that didn't come from a bad situation that were just never going to be friendly, though. Our newest, Mr Hoppes lets Nancy walk right up to him and pick him up, but I have to corner him still. Most of ours over the years have gotten used to handling and will come when called unless they think it's time to be put up--then, some of them can be little brats.

Thank you all for your comments!! :) it's good to hear this is normal. Everything online said 12-24hrs! None of my other rabbits were so skittish. It's been a week now and he doesn't run as much when I go to get him. I will say that once I get him and get a good grip (it's hard to get him out of the cage he is in) then he doesn't kick or anything.

I took him out last night and we snuggled for a bit after he had exhausted himself with bunny hopping time. I let him go from his cage out onto the screened in porch and he does the bunny 500 and bucking bronco :)

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

It's good to know that he's settling in well :) Bandit took a long time to become comfortable with being picked up too, but it sounds like you're making good progress.

Louie has gotten SO much better with being picked up. He is also got his litter box training down and his area to hop has been expanded :)

I have him in the living room so he can hang out with the family but I also have a box and a hut for him to hide in if he wants some privacy (in addition to his cage).

Anyways, is there a way to desensitize him to noises? It's weird... He panics if my husband sneezes but doesn't even bat an eye when the blender is going in the kitchen ( way louder than the sneeze). I don't want him to be stressed and I don't think he is because he does the bunny flop quite often but I also feel awful when I hear him scatter to his hut when I bump into the side of he table (or something like that).

Is it just normal or how can I make him not be so nervous?

image.jpg

Your bunny is so cute!!! I love the pics!! :rose:
Bunnies are very sensitive to noise, the best thing is to try not to make any, but of course a sneeze is something you can't stop. Funny that he's afraid of that and not of the blender. Some noises seem to scare bunnies more..
I don't know what to suggest in that case, but I'm sure someone will post something useful. I had bunnies who were afraid of silly noises too, it turned out that after some time they got used to them and not afraid anymore.

It's normal. Rabbits are prey animals, so sudden sounds are going to startle them. It's just a safety reflex, it doesn't make him feel upset or nervous or scared of being around you noisy buggers. :p

You can't desensitise him to it, but given time he will probably get used to sounds like sneezes - my bun used to bolt at the the sound of a door opening, but now he's used to it and doesn't even flinch when he's sitting by a door and someone opens it. We'd just have to step over his flopped out body.

i just got my buns on 10/13, and she was the same way. (and still kind of is). If i even walked by her cage she would rush under her igloo, and picking her up was quite a task. I felt awful because she'd try so hard to get away.

I just want to be like "love meeeeee". haha

But hand feeding her helped, also letting her out now and then and laying on the floor and letting her come up to me seems to have helped. Now and then i can pick her up somewhat without a struggle lol and plop her on my lap. She still shakes but shes getting more comfortable with it.

Even still, she wont let me pick her up unless shes in her cage. :/ But everyone here says it depends on personality, and on them just needing time to get to know you and warm up.

BTW, cutest friggin bunny ever!!! omg, what a darling

Oh my gosh! I just want to squoosh that cute little fluffy bunny face. He's adorable!!!

I think over time that he will gradually get used to all of the weird noises, once he realizes that when they occur nothing bad happens to him. He already seems to be adapting well. My rabbits hate it when I sneeze too, but once they get over being startled by it, they are fine and go back to what they were doing.

just give him time and talk to him alot. My bunnies are used to me saying.. Chill out guys... it's just me, or it's the wind... chill out guys. and they do. sometimes they just need to freak a minute and if they are used to you talking to them it helps them settle quicker.

I was able to train my buns into being petted by offering a small treat then petting them while they ate it. Lara took some time to encourage as she was such a very nervous bunny and would stretch herself forward to investigate something so that if she got scared she'd pull back like a giant spring and then dash off and hide. Kick's behaviour is the opposite, she doesn't want to know me unless I got a treat and then she frantically sniffs around and forces herself to where the treat is. She doesn't seem to be taking into account that allowing me to pet her is being rewarded with the treat, she's all "where's the treat? give it me now! I don't care about the hand, I just want what's mine!"

Thumper used to freak if anyone coughed and it didn't even have to be in the same room as him but now he doesn't even raise an ear when we cough.

All of the buns scramble though when our dog gets really excited when on the hardwood floors.

Latest posts

Back