New Rabbit-possibly pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!
I got this sweet girl about 24 hours ago. She was kept with intact males and her previous owner believed her to either be pregnant or overweight due to recent weight gain. I’m wondering how likely it is that she’s pregnant and I’m also wondering what breed of rabbit she is. The previous owner provided a nesting box, but I had to throw it out due to extreme smell and unsanitary state. I will provide her with a new one, just in case. She’s rather shy, so I set up my nest camera to watch/monitor her without actually disturbing her so she can relax and acclimate. She seems to be very hungry and thirsty. She appears to be in fine physical condition (I’m a vet tech). I haven’t palpated her due to inexperience with that and not knowing how far along in her gestation (if she is indeed pregnant). She gobbles down pellets (I offer limited pellets) and I’m offering her unlimited alfalfa and Timothy hay.

Attachments

• EBA2C815-B006-46CB-8419-5E5C7E89BCBF.jpeg
    EBA2C815-B006-46CB-8419-5E5C7E89BCBF.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 9
It is very likely that she could be pregnant. I understand you are a vet tech so I will assume you know some signs of pregnancy in rabbits; have you noticed any signs such as pulling her hair to use it in nesting? I don’t mean this is a disrespectful way towards you, but I would take her to a vet clinic to get her properly checked out just incase, it’s always helpful to have a second opinion. :))

It is very likely that she could be pregnant. I understand you are a vet tech so I will assume you know some signs of pregnancy in rabbits; have you noticed any signs such as pulling her hair to use it in nesting? I don’t mean this is a disrespectful way towards you, but I would take her to a vet clinic to get her properly checked out just incase, it’s always helpful to have a second opinion. :))

No disrespect taken 😉 yes, I plan to take her in. I was just concerned about stressing her out. She was apparently abandoned on a farm and lived outside until she was taken in. She’s very shy and unsure so far, but I’ve already noticed she’s relaxing a bit. We’re giving her some space and quiet to figure out her new digs, but I’m watching her on the nest camera like a hawk, and I haven’t noticed any sign of nesting. She’s rather rotund, so I’m wondering if she’s just been over fed. But we’re prepared either way!

No disrespect taken 😉 yes, I plan to take her in. I was just concerned about stressing her out. She was apparently abandoned on a farm and lived outside until she was taken in. She’s very shy and unsure so far, but I’ve already noticed she’s relaxing a bit. We’re giving her some space and quiet to figure out her new digs, but I’m watching her on the nest camera like a hawk, and I haven’t noticed any sign of nesting. She’s rather rotund, so I’m wondering if she’s just been over fed. But we’re prepared either way!
That’s great, it seems that you’re doing the best for her, the poor bunny seems to have had a tough life prior to being yours :( I’m sure she’ll open up once she’s calmed down and gets to know you! Over feeding is also a possible reason to her size haha! Either way I wish you and your bunny luck!

When I adopted my two buns, I had no idea she was pregnant, until she started pulling her hair out and putting it inside a flannel bed I had made for my dog...so I immediately took the male away, in a separate spot and she had her babies two days later. She was pretty adamant about having that dog bed, because she kept climbing up the cage wire like a sniper..lol
And getting out of her caged area..so I left the door open to her area and just shut the bedroom door and she relaxed and had two babies.. One died at birth but the other is. Great.. So now they are both fixed and are bonded together... hope all works out and she is ok

Whatever her breed, she is beautiful! If she was around intact males, it's very likely she is pregnant. The early signs for you are going to be difficult to gage since she's in a new home and based on her abandonment...It amazes me that people think a domesticated rabbit would be able to thrive in the wild! At any rate, keep us posted!

Whatever her breed, she is beautiful! If she was around intact males, it's very likely she is pregnant. The early signs for you are going to be difficult to gage since she's in a new home and based on her abandonment...It amazes me that people think a domesticated rabbit would be able to thrive in the wild! At any rate, keep us posted!
Thanks for your response, yes she was pregnant! She had a litter of 10 and we lost two. She’s a good mama and I’ve been letting her do her thing and keeping a close eye on things. Yes I can’t imagine how people think it’s ok to dump any kind of animal outside to fend for themselves in a new and terrifying situation with no experience on how survive outdoors! Well she’s safe and warm now and lives like an absolute queen ❤️

Bless you for taking her in...I would love to see pictures if you have any! :) I never get tired of looking at buns...especially the kits!

Back