New rabbit owner!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crost_23

Reaction score
Decided today to become a rabbit owner. I brought home my bunny and I'm just wanting a few tips and I have a few concerns. I realize that she's in a new environment and probably scared, but I want to know if it's normal for her not to eat. I've only had her about 11 hours as of now. She's starting to venture into her cage and familiarize herself but she has not eaten or drank anything so far. I hope she's okay. She doesn't seem like she's sick or anything. Maybe she's just nervous. I'm just wanting some advice and a little knowledge since I'm new at this. Please and thanks!

No that is not normal. She should be eating something. What do you have for her to eat? She should pellets, hay, veggies. Also, have a water bottle and a bowl of water available. She may be nervous but 11 hours is a long time for a rabbit to go without food and water. You should call a rabbit savvy vet.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited:
For buns that are nervous in a new environment, it's best to give them some space and keep them in a quite area. It may help to cover the cage with a sheet and provide a hidey hole. A cardboard box with a hole cut in will work.

Keep an eye on the eating and water level. You can try a little treat like a small bit of carrot, dark leafy green, pinch of oats, or bit of banana, to try and entice the bun to eat, but it should only be a very small piece as you don't want to be introducing too much of a new food into your buns diet, as this can lead to digestive upset.

Do you know what food your bun was fed in it's old home? Were you given a bag of the food that your bun is used to eating? It's best to not suddenly change the type of pellets a rabbit is used to. Changing pellets should always be done gradually, so usually a new bun is sent to it's new home with a bag of it's food.

Generally if a bun hasn't eaten or pooped for more than 12-24 hours, it becomes an emergency situation as their digestive tract starts to essentially shut down. So it's really important to help get your bun eating at least a little bit of food.

Has she eaten yet? If she hasn't you need to get her to a vet as it would be a day without food. Very bad for rabbits.

If she has only eaten a little bit, try giving her hay. What kind of hay do you have? What have you been feeding her? If it is hay and pellets, great for you. If you are just giving her veggies, try giving her a bit of hay and see if she eats that.

And, if she's perked up and is eating, great for her.

Last night she ate one piece of hay. It is Timothy hay. I also have fresh pellets in a bowl for her but I don't think she has touched it nor has she drank any water. She just sits under her little hideout and stares. She seems very timid. I feel so bad for her. I hope she's okay. This morning, I woke to find she used the bathroom which is the first since I got her yesterday. I hope she starts getting more comfortable with everything.

Have you got a water bottle or a bowl for her? She may not know how to use the one if she had the other one where you got her from (some rabbits don't know how to drink from a bottle) so it's worth having both until you learn which she prefers.

Has she got a place to hide in her cage? That can help make them feel more secure. I would change the pellets, if they've been out for 24 hours some bunns won't eat them unless they're "fresh" from the bag.

She has a water bottle but I feel like she may not ow how to use it. I let her out today for awhile to get some exercise. She loved lettuce. (Green-leaf) I offered her a piece of apple and carrots but she chose the lettuce. She loves it. I also put some fresh water in a bowl and she drank it, so should I place a bowl in her cage? I'm afraid it will make a mess but then again her water bottle hasn't moved or indicated she has drank anything. So far, I think she's starting to come around. She is so cute! I will post pics!

I have read that rabbits do drink more from a bowl than a bottle so if I were you I'd keep giving her water in a bowl. I got ones that you attach to the side of the cage so they don't spill. I got one at Walmart and a couple at Petsmart. In the past I have also used just a heavy crock-type bowl that was pretty tip proof.

I have read that rabbits do drink more from a bowl than a bottle so if I were you I'd keep giving her water in a bowl. I got ones that you attach to the side of the cage so they don't spill. I got one at Walmart and a couple at Petsmart. In the past I have also used just a heavy crock-type bowl that was pretty tip proof.

As soon as I put a bowl in there and left the room, I came back and she was already drinking it haha. I guess she likes it better! Thank you all for the advice! She is a character. She is roughly 12-16 weeks old and I'm planning on having her spayed when the time comes to prevent any health problems. I want to keep her as healthy as possible. :)

Congratulations!! She is SO CUTE. You seem like you're going to be a very "parent" to your new baby, I'm happy for you both :bunny24

Congratulations!! She is SO CUTE. You seem like you're going to be a very good "parent" to your new baby, I'm happy for you both :bunny24

Oops, tried making a change to my first post & ended up posting twice...well, i'm doubly happy for you! :)

I'm so glad that you got her to start drinking water and that she seems to be settling in a bit. Definitely put the bowl in her cage, a flat bottomed heavy cermaic bowl from a pet store is usually a good tip-proof option :) She's very cute :D

Congrats! She seems like a cutie and glad you got her to drink water and such :3 You're gonna have fun with your bun bun! :D They're a blast!

Hi! I'm a new rabbit owner as well (we had one when I was little but it was mean so my mom took care of it!) and my rabbit also wants to drink from a bowl and not a bottle. Glad to see this is normal :)

Latest posts

Back