New rabbit owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
I am the proudowner of two female Californians and a dwarf fop.:shock: My boys asked for them, but I know that they willbecome mine. I'm already totally in love with my dwarf,Ella. Lexi and Jenna, the Californians, are very skittish,nor can I tell them apart! :? I was just wondering if therewere any ways to make them less so. I've bought a bunny book,but getting advice from experienced bunnie owners is so muchbetter.

Is there anything they need?I have pellets, hay, chew toys, and veggies. So far theirears are clean and clear.

I just want to make themhappy! Any pointers would be appreciated. By theway does anyone breed? I am thinking of getting my kids into4H, and they have a bunny show.

I've attached a pic of my new babies.

Thanks, I am looking forward to learning!

dmmcnair

Beautiful rabbits! A good place tostart for info is the House Rabbit Society website. If youhave specific questions, there are many people on this forum with awide range of experience.

One of my favorite aspects of the "rabbit habit" ishelpingyouth. I am a former 4-H advisor, long-time rabbit breeder,and rabbit judge. I also do a lot of 4-H showmanship judgingif you have questions specific to youth showing.

I have quiz questions on my website for youth to study for 4-Hhttp://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Pam

Your new little fur babies areadorable! I'm partial to your Ella because she looks like myEmmit...Rabbits are so much fun, but more work than some people think(but totally worth it). Enjoy them, good luck with the 4-H!

-Carrie

how sweet! congrtas! youve came to a good placefor rabbit info. there are so many people on here with vasts amount ofbunny knowledge.

just give the bunnies a chance to get situated and make sure to givethem alot of attention. theyll come around sooner or later. and whenthey finally do its so awesome!!

i just got my bunny a month ago. she was really scared and all when ifirst got her. but now when i go in the room she stands up on her backfeet to greet me!! it makes me so happy!!!

Congrats! :)

Oh, WOW! :shock::shock::shock: Lexi andJenna look just like my Sherman (he's a Californian too)!

Oh, how cute! My little Sweetpea is a Californiantoo :) Both my bunnies were VERY skiddish when we first brought themhome. We've had them for about 2 months now and they are slowly gettingmore comfortable around us. They will come up to us for pets andscratchesas long as we are laying still. If we come at themthey run off and hide! But they are so entertaining! Have fun! I don'thave any good advice, I'm still learning too.

ps. Junior and Sweetpea werealso gifts for mysons,but they are really mine if you know what I mean :) They getso mad when I refer to them as "My bunnies". They say, "Uh...MOM...youmean our bunnies!!!"

I'm pretty partial to Ella too, but that is justbecause she gave me a kiss the very first time I picked herup. She has been handled a lot more than Lexi andJenna. I plan on a lot of get to know each othertime. For now they are outside on our porch (my hubby doesn'tthink they belong in the house; I'll change his mind yet!) in a hugehutch I built with my own two hands; I'm very proud of it. Wehave guinea pigs on the other side. I let them all hang withme in the bathroom while I get ready for the day. It's theonly rabbit proof place I have right now.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank ya'll for the encouragement andinfo. I'm gonna need help, and I'm glad I found a good placeto get it!

Thanks again

dmmcnair

Thanks Pam. I will be visiting yourwebsite real soon! I emailed our district 4H and am hopingfor some more info from them. I really think the 4H is theway to go for our kids. They get pretty bored living in thecountry with all their friends 10+ miles away!

I hope you won't mind if I ask more question of ya about 4H. I am sure we will have plenty!

Thanks again,

dmmcnair

dmmcnair wrote:
(my hubby doesn't think they belong in the house;I'll change his mind yet!) in a huge hutch I built with my own twohands; I'm very proud of it.
That is so funny! My husband said the same thing! Then he camehome and saw the huge 3 story condo I built and they have been insideever since! I catch him sneaking over and giving them little pets nowand then. And last night I went to bed early and forgot to put them upin their cage. I realized it after about a half an hour and when I cameup to cage them he had already rounded them up and had them all tuckedin. He's a big 'ol softy. ;)But, he said he had to chase themaround the couch a few times before he got them both headed to thecage. I would have loved to have seen that! LOL!

Hi, welcome to the forum. Youhave come to the right place for information. There are a lotof knowledgeable folks here. Some are breeders and others arepet owners. As you will see, we learn about rabbits, we havefun,share ideas and help each other in life. So with some ofthe posts you will laugh others will make you cry. It is agreat place to come to and share. Glad to have youhere. Your bunnies are beautiful. Just make surethat they always have plenty of water, good quality brand name pellets( I use Purina bought at the feed store) and plenty of grasshay. They need to eat the hay to keep the gutmoving. Bunnies ingest fur when they cleanthemselves. They hay adds fiber and sweeps the gut to keepthings moving along. Glad to have you here.Beckie

junior_n_sweetpea wrote:
dmmcnair wrote:
(my hubbydoesn't think they belong in the house; I'll change his mind yet!) in ahuge hutch I built with my own two hands; I'm very proud ofit.
That is so funny! My husband said the same thing! Then he camehome and saw the huge 3 story condo I built and they have been insideever since! I catch him sneaking over and giving them little pets nowand then. And last night I went to bed early and forgot to put them upin their cage. I realized it after about a half an hour and when I cameup to cage them he had already rounded them up and had them all tuckedin. He's a big 'ol softy. ;)But, he said he had to chase themaround the couch a few times before he got them both headed to thecage. I would have loved to have seen that! LOL!

lol, my parents are still sticking to the whole outside bunny thing! Iwish they were inside but I understand the whole allergy issue, I justwish I could cuddle with them when I'm watching TV or something.

But my parents did give into one thing. They told me only one rabbit,so I brought home 2, one was for a friend and I was holding him forher, and the other was 6 week old Mocha. My mom and dad fell in lovewith the idea of having 2 and it was pretty simple after that. I gaveScor (the other bunny) to my friend, and picked up a little female fromthe same litter, they weren't even 3 months and they already fought tokill eachother (they had been successfully bonded beforehand) and I hadto get rid of her when I had enough and she attacked my ankle afterseparating a fight. I gave her to a family with kids where they hadrabbits before and would give her attention, I knew that she wasn'tvicious except after fighting with another rabbit. And finally, I gotmy baby Spice, he was the last rabbit my friend was giving away as hewas a male, Mocha and Spice started fighting, but my parents couldn'tbare to get rid of them anymore then I could! So now I have 2 bunniesthat are neighbors and are quite happy to cuddle through the wire aslong as they can't intrude on eachothers territory.

I'm sure you can work your magic and soon they will be inside!

VERY cute bunnies! I love the lop. But I also love the other ones. Oh I love them all!

Laura, Moch, & Spice

Latest posts

Back