New Rabbit or not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my female mini rex gizmo seems to get lonely in her cage during the day and even when i take her out to free roam my house she really seems sad and bored. she has pleanty of toys and a large 3 level c+c cage, but she seems to be craving more attention and is almost depressed. she turns 3 in november and i really want to know if i should get another female rabbit from a shelter to hopefully bond with her. would it be a good idea? i know rabbits usually live in pairs but gizmo wasnt very social until recently so another rabbit was out of the question before. she is really friendly and loves playing with my 2 cats and my chihuahua but im not sure if i should look into getting another rabbit or not. i think bonding with another rabbit will help with her separation anxiety at night. please help

Getting a friend is great, there's nothing like bunny love. You might want to make sure there's nothing physically wrong first though if it is a sudden change. Also, is she spayed? If not there will likely be terriroy issues and fighting with any newcomer. I suggest going on bunny dates and letting her pick her new mate, buns can be very particular about who they like and it is not predictable.

Good luck!

First step (I would think) is a trip to the vet to make sure there is nothing physically wrong with her to cause her lethargy.

Then, if she is spayed, take her on bunny dates at the shelter with other fixed rabbits. It's best to let them pick themselves rather than an "arranged marriage" because they usually bond quicker. The most successful pairings are typically spayed female and neutered male.

ok she is not spayed but she is already going to be 3 come november. is it too late to spay her? i wanted to a long time ago but my mom said it was pointless since she was an only bunny. i pay for her myself so money is not an issue i am just wondering how much it will cost. also, how would i go about setting up a bunny play date?

GizmoTheMiniRex wrote:
is it too late to spay her?
That is for a competent vet to tell you, but I would think not.

GizmoTheMiniRex wrote:
but my mom said it was pointless since she was an only bunny.

Ummm......no. Birth control is only one reason to spay a bunny. Female rabbits tend to have a high rate of reproductive cancers and other problems. Your bunny has a much greater chance of making it to 10-15 years if she is spayed.

yeah i have always known that rabbits live longer when they are spayed but when i first got gizmo my mom would not allow it because she was going to be an only rabbit and the only rabbit vet remotely close to our area was over an hour away. but i am for sure getting her spayed before christmas time :D

As for the age, my little guy was fixed in may. He is four years old and within two days after surgery he was up and about as normal. His behavior changed for the better, and his litter box training is nearly perfect!

Latest posts

Back