New Rabbit Not Eating...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wtfalcons111

Reaction score
On Monday I purchased a new rabbit. This is my second rabbit. Just to make it clear they are not near each other and are completely separate. Both are indoor rabbits. The one I just bought was originally outdoor but I moved her in when i bought her. Ever since I purchased her she hasn't been eating. She is eating hay and drinking water but no pellets. I didn't want to start on any vegetables or treats until I got her established on pellets. I feed my rabbits oxbow. The new baby I put on young rabbit oxbow. I contacted the breeder and she told me she was on pellets from tractor supply. Every pet store I have called(including the one I work at) doesn't carry this brand. I was to excited and wasn't thinking to ask the breeder when I bought her if I could get a little baggy of the food to mix in with the pellets I use. Today I was worried so I fed her a few carrot tops and a small slice of banana. I also got her to eat some oats. I am by no means an expert on rabbits but I do know a fair amount. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get her on oxbow pellets that would be great. The rabbit is active and appears healthy as far as I can see. She is 10 weeks old. If you need more information just let me know. Thanks for listening I know this is kind of long.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

Our vet says that rabbits will do fine on hay and vegetables, although we do feed ours some pellet. When we have gotten new rescues it takes them some time to get used to eating the pellets and vegetables and others have taken right to it. As long as the bunny is eating hay and vegetables it should be alright. Give it some time to acclimate.

Ok thanks for the reply...How many vegetables should I introduce? I don't want to give too much and cause diarrhea. I am unsure if the previous owner fed vegetables but I will ask.

Thanks

It took my rabbit a few days to even nibble his pellets when I got him, now he devours them. Just keep offering. I was told to offer a small amount so I could tell when he started eating them easier, so I just gave him a tiny handful until I noticed him eating some.

I was also told to introduce veggies one at a time, to make sure none of them upset my buns tummy.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html I found useful as well. :)

My rabbits hate Oxbow. You can also try a Kaytee Timothy, Zupreme or I think Carefresh (?) timothy.

Mix it with a feed store alfalfa brand slowing reduce the alfalfa and increase the timothy.

sas :clover:

I spent the money for Oxbow as a treat for my buns, none of them ate any of it, I ended up giving the bag away.

I guess as long as she is eating hay and veggies its fine. I once read that feeding your rabbit just pellets is a sign of a lazy rabbit owner. Sounds harsh to me. My year olds like lots of hay and eat 1/4 cup of pellets daily as well as some veggies. One of those has now stopped eating pellets but she has been on meds for a month so there could be some relation to that. On the other hand my 13 year old was raised on an almost pure pellet diet. Won't touch hay but likes vegetables. He eats about 1/2 cup of pellets a day.

Latest posts

Back