NEW RABBIT HAS NEW BABIES?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil24

Reaction score
Greater Vancouver Area, British Columbia, Canada
Alright, so in my last thread I mentioned that I had rescued a rabbit from a park today.
Anyways, I double checked the sexing of rabbits and it turns out Darcy is a girl!
So what I thought was gas, could very well be babies!
Please help!

Tina

Hi, are you comfortable trying to feel for the babies? Gently feel the abdomen, or have a vet or breeder take a feel. Is she making a nest?

Ok, keep an eye on her in the next day or so, and let us know how it goes1 I'll be hoping for a safe birth!

!! Oh no!
Darcy is preggers =[ My phone died and I can't find the dumb charger >=[
Do you want any of us to bring you a cage so that the babies can't squeeze thru? Or are you going to cover the NIC cage?
But hey, atleast that's more rabbits off the Uvic campus! Precious really needs a friend, maybe she'll bond with a baby!

Yup Darcy had the babies tonight.
Everything went smoothly.
Probably around 4 to 6 kits.
I'm not going to touch them since I don't know how long she was in the wild for.
I kind of worry, but I'm planning on letting nature take its course on this one.

Though I still need cardboard to block out the grates at the side, so the kits can't squeeze through when they come out of the nest.

I was told the babies don't come out of the nest for 3 - 4 weeks.
Can anyone verify this?

Thanks so much everyone!

Tina

They will come out of the nestbox usually at about two weeks old after their eyes are open. Are they in a nestbox? If they are not I would move the whole nest into a box that is about as long as the mother.

I would block the cage now. Babies can wander at any time especially if it is warm.

:faint:

Well congrats on the babies anyway! Try not to worry too much and enjoy them now you have them ;)

I would try to handle them if she lets you, but if you're afraid of being attacked then don't! Glad it went well!

I would block the sides now. My current kits are only 10 days old and two managed to get out last night (NIC cage). Thankfully I got to them in time and they are just fine. But, they certainly can come out before 3-4 weeks! Learn from my mistake. :)

Latest posts

Back