New rabbit doesn't get along with Lucy bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minmelethuireb

Reaction score
Last Saturday I adopted a Dutch rabbit from a local animal control office/shelter. Her name is Penelope, and she's usually a sweet rabbit, but for some reason she really doesn't like my Mini Rex, Lucy.

Basically I have three rabbits: Penelope, Lucy, and Pipkin (a boy). They each have their own pen in a different corner of my "bunny room." Lucy and Penelope are both spayed, with Penelope being spayed 11 days ago. I like letting my rabbits out to run around, and Lucy and Pipkin get along really well. Penelope and Pipkin also get along really well (Pipkin definitely has a crush on her lol). But every time Penelope and Lucy get near each other, they try to attack each other.

I'm not letting them out together, but I also can't let one of them get near the other rabbit's cage. The other night Penelope went over to Lucy's cage and Lucy ended up with a cut on her chin. I cleaned Lucy's cut with warm water, and it seems to be healing okay - just hoping no abscess forms. But anyway, my question is: What can I do to get these rabbits to stop attacking each other?

Last edited:
I'm still a newbie bunny mom but I think Lucy & Penelope even though they are spayed are interested in bonding with your male Pipkin. They will fight over him & be jealous of each other at least that is my take on the situation. I'm sure some other more experienced members will be along soon & can advise you from their knowledge & experience. Also, you mention Penelope was spayed only 11 days ago so she is still dealing with her hormones. As I understand it it can take up to 2 months for the hormones to settle after the spay/neuter procedure. Hope you can find a good solution for you & all your buns.

Latest posts

Back