New question about Snowball

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
She is painfully thin. She has unlimited hay, pellets and we give her lots of leafy greens and herbs. I realize she needs extra calories, especially since she has such a larger litter. How can I get her to gain, healthy like and quick. I mean she is all skin and bones. We have given her large chunks of banana but I have no idea how much is too much.

I would for the time being add a mixed bunny food that contains some grains and treats. I know that some people would frown on giving her alfalfa pellets and hay but they are just higher in fat and calories. Try and find her some dandelions ( if you don't have them available in your yard, try the produce department of larger food store ), some drier multigrain bread, clover, something with a higher calorie content than lettuce or some of your herbs. I would also feed her on demand for now, can put her back of rations later.

You could also give her a little nutrical every day...that has extra calories.

I tend to give more treats like cheerios and maybe some banana baby food....stuff that my girls just love and don't get that often.

Then again - they love bananas (forget the baby food part)...

Is baby food better than actual banana?

They love whole grain Cheezits, which my husband gives them. I do not like Cheezits.

My brood does get 1/2-1 tsp. of Calf Manna after kindling, if you give it daily she will put on the weight. It's also supposed to increase milk production in the doe...it has to be doing just that because all of my babies are so full they could pop!:D HUGE bellies and mama isn't skin and bones anymore.

ETA: you can get a small bag of calf-manna at the Tractor Supply Store.

We give our skinny mom all the rolled oats she wants to eat. And cheerios as a treat. The rolled oats come in the large blue can in a grocery store next to the oatmeal

If it were me I would give her all the pellets she will eat, dry oatmeal, black oil sunflower seeds and calf manna. I would also giver her dry day old bread. I know I am going to catch flak for this but I would limit the hay and greens. I would rather have her eating the high calorie foods to put on some weight.

Make sure the pellets are high enough protein (no less than 16% crude protein, and I would recommend 18% unless she's a giant). She should have access to as much pellets as she can eat. Hay's okay, but it's more for roughage/fiber than calories. Definitely don't give her any watery vegetables (celery, iceberg, etc.) Calf Manna is a definite booster. I usually add rolled oats and sunflowers to my nursing does' diets if they're loosing too much weight.

Steel Oats is what I give my bunners to gain wt fast. I sprinkle them on top of thier food daily as a treat and increase it when needed for some good flesh for show. I don't breed so I have never had to plump up a doe with kits.

I glad to hear about the oats, I only buy steel cut or irish. rolled or oat groats (I think oatmeal should be chewy).
I've not been able to get the calf manna yet, so I have been adding oats, banana and lots of greens. She is not really eating pellets and not much hay. she does snarf the veggies and banana, eats the oats but not pellets. She is not scary thin anymore but I would prefer she gain some. Her teats seems pretty full and she is being a good momma! Trying to stuff her quilted bed into the box with the babies, has not managed it yet!!! Kind of funny to watch.
All the babies seem to be doing well, even the tiniest runt has a plump belly.

Back