New Peta ad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happened to their baby had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she has had a million of kids?lol. I think it is kind of sad to think that there mind is not right just because they have alot of kids. I have my hands full with four kids , i couldnt imagine in a million years what it would be like to have the amount of kids they do, but it works for them. Now the Octo mom on the other hand, needs to have her mind set right,lol

From what i have heard Jim Bob sold real estate and they have investment properties, and possibly investments, that last one i am not sure of, but according to them they are living debt free. They built the house that they live in now , with the help of the kids , family and friends, with skills that they have learned along the way. I am sure that the station that has their show, and by doing the show has given them donations of things in the house, but hey if they have the show and can benefit from it why not. Look at John and Kate plus eight, there whole income is based on what they make from the show and appearances for her book and things like that

I guess I don't see a big deal with that family - I know several families who have 9 and 10 kids (by choice) - and some friends have 6-8 kids also.

Yeah - I admit - they have a LOT of kids - don't get me wrong.

But I know a bit about their mindset (conservative Christian) and I understand a lot of what their goals are for raising their kids.

Most of the families that I know that are like this (all of them I think) - tend to be debt-free (or mostly debt-free) and working towards training their kids to be able to have their own business as they become adults (although if they do go to college it is usually paid for in cash).

Anyway - had God allowed Art & I to have more kids - we would have done so also. Like this family - we wanted to have however many kids God entrusted to us. It looks like the number for us...was two. (But we love them anyway).

I haven't watched their show - I may have to try and find a way to see it on the internet or something.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
"own their 7,000 s.f. home free and clear and have never taken any public assistance."

Sorry but I find that VERY untrue. They may say that but may god strike me down right where I sit if it be true. When the show started they lived in a rinky little house with what, three bed rooms? They talked about living month to month. Soon after the show started they started building that huge house. They got loads from that show plus people giving them stuff for being so overcrowded as a family, I have NO doubt about that.

Could have gotten donations after people started seeing the show. Donations are not considered "public assistance."

RandomWiktor wrote:
What, PETA doing something in poor taste? Shocking!

I despise this organization. They are so grossly counterproductive to the cause of animal rights that it isn't even funny.
TOTALLY agree. PETA is appalling and their leader is a very disturbed woman. I'll never forget her quote long ago when she said she felt the human race shouldn't exist for the sake of animals. Nutcase.

Jessyka wrote:
bunnybunbunb wrote:
"own their 7,000 s.f. home free and clear and have never taken any public assistance."

Sorry but I find that VERY untrue. They may say that but may god strike me down right where I sit if it be true. When the show started they lived in a rinky little house with what, three bed rooms? They talked about living month to month. Soon after the show started they started building that huge house. They got loads from that show plus people giving them stuff for being so overcrowded as a family, I have NO doubt about that.

Could have gotten donations after people started seeing the show. Donations are not considered "public assistance."

This may sound cold, but I have ZERO sympathy for a family that WILLINGLY chooses to have baby after baby after baby when they cannot financially support them and could easily access birth control but choose not to for religious reasons and instead uses public assistance and donations. It's practically guaranteed they used public assistance before the show. And I'm sorry, but that is really wrong. The only reason the Duggar family can survive now is because of their show and the tons of money from TLC. And let's not forget.. it is 18 kids AND COUNTING... they have no intention of stopping, the mother is already pregnant with #19. I think that is so beyond wrong in this day in age. But to do that and use public assistance when there are families that have 1 baby with serious health problems and desperately needs public assistance, they should get it.. not a family that chooses to have tons of kids they cannot possibly take care of. And what kind of future are these kids going to have when their parents cannot pay for any of them to go to college? It is wildly irresponsible to me.

Ok, rant over, lol. :)

So finally on topic.. lol.. I personally think the ad is pretty funny. It send a message everyone understands because who hasn't heard of the duggars ;).

slavetoabunny wrote:
Valerie is correct - the photo isn't part of the advertisement, just the family name. They are supposedly putting up billboards in the Duggar's hometown and surrounding communities.
Now, PETA doing that I think is terribly bad taste. That's just invasive and mean.

Willingly signing on to being a public family via TLC, they signed on to be very public, so it is to be expected that some unpleasant things would come from that. Similar situation with Jon and Kate.. things they would have much rather not have be public info were slandered all over the media, the media can be brutal, just how it is.

Raspberry82 wrote:

This may sound cold, but I have ZERO sympathy for a family that WILLINGLY chooses to have baby after baby after baby when they cannot financially support them and could easily access birth control but choose not to for religious reasons and instead uses public assistance and donations. It's practically guaranteed they used public assistance before the show. And I'm sorry, but that is really wrong. The only reason the Duggar family can survive now is because of their show and the tons of money from TLC. And let's not forget.. it is 18 kids AND COUNTING... they have no intention of stopping, the mother is already pregnant with #19. I think that is so beyond wrong in this day in age. But to do that and use public assistance when there are families that have 1 baby with serious health problems and desperately needs public assistance, they should get it.. not a family that chooses to have tons of kids they cannot possibly take care of. And what kind of future are these kids going to have when their parents cannot pay for any of them to go to college? It is wildly irresponsible to me.

Ok, rant over, lol. :)
It is not irresponsible if they are affording it, how can you assume that they cant afford those kids, they do alot of things to cut costs, they have rental properties, they home school the kids, etc, etc, etc, etc,lol. They claim to not be taking any welfare type of assistance, they do have a strong community that they congregate with, that have like minded views as they do, and they help each other. I dont agree or even disagree with them, it is not something that is for me, but it works for them and they are doing it.

I went to their website and was doing some reading. Several years ago - they went to a seminar on managing their money and living debt-free and that is how they decided to live. If they lived in a small house before - it is because that is what they could afford. (I know of the seminar they went to and have friends who live the same way - Art & I were talking about them the other day. They bought an old orphanage about 15 years ago - paid it off within 5 years and have lived without a house payment for over 10 years. They've done most of their work themselves and while they bought the property for $45,000 - because of the acreage it is on and all the work they've done to the place (over 3,000 square feet with a second house on the property and a huge barn, etc) - the house is probably worth over $250,000 now. In addition - they've had his $1500 month retirement since 2002 plus his income (probably close to $30 per hour) since then to live on - with no house payment and no car payment, etc.)

I don't see why people think they couldn't afford to take care of their kids - if you read their story- you'll even see that the tv station approached them to do the series - not the other way around.

I think having that many kids is irresponsible, because of the environmental impact all those people (and THEIR offspring) will have. There are too many people on the planet as it is, and I think having that many kids is just wrong, whether they can pay for them or not. (NOT that I agree with legislating that sort of thing.) I think these people are using religion as an excuse for their irresponsible behavior.

I don't really have an opinion on the ad, though.

ETA: This is my personal opinion, and I'm not going to argue about it. *shrug* I know others may not agree with me, and I don't expect everyone to feel the same way about it. :)

I just said IF they did get public assistance it would be wrong, I didn't say whether they did or not. I think they're sweet people with good hearts, just seems a little crazy they leave everything up to God like continuing with more children. If they lost the show, how would they care for so many?

And I don't think people are really taking into account the whole picture of possible expenses. If they did it without public assistance, kudos to them.

But children are not cheap. There's tons of doctor/medical expenses for each child, clothes, food, insurance. And on 1 income too, since Michelle stays home.

Since they make 50k per episode, they are now millionaires, so no problem. But before? Hard to imagine even if you're frugal. Jim Bob must have had a hefty salary.

Raspberry82 wrote:
I just said IF they did get public assistance it would be wrong, I didn't say whether they did or not. I think they're sweet people with good hearts, just seems a little crazy they leave everything up to God like continuing with more children. If they lost the show, how would they care for so many?

And I don't think people are really taking into account the whole picture of possible expenses. If they did it without public assistance, kudos to them.

But children are not cheap. There's tons of doctor/medical expenses for each child, clothes, food, insurance. And on 1 income too, since Michelle stays home.

Since they make 50k per episode, they are now millionaires, so no problem. But before? Hard to imagine even if you're frugal. Jim Bob must have had a hefty salary.
They own and rent out a bunch of different commercial properties. You can make a LOT of money doing that. On one of their episodes they explained how they can afford it, their income and how they are debt free. They also explained that the kids have medical and some dental plan. They also have a smaller carbon foot print then most american families and the cost/child is lower then what most people think.

Raising a "normal" kid thats spoiled with all the luxuries we have is expensive. Raising one thats homeschooled, no tv, only used clothes, only home made food, no extra $ after school activities, in a house thats paid off, is more economical. They don't have all the extra stuff people waste their money on.

SweetSassy wrote:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't agree with her having that many kids.

I DO NOT WANNA BE BASHED FOR MY COMMENT.everyone has opinions.

PS) I do like the duggars and I have watched the show. I just don't agree with her having that many kids. I have my own reasons for that.
I also don't see anything wrong with the advert.
All things in advertisting have some bad thing behind it if its from a large compnay, organatistion etc. I do think if it was used with out permission then it should be sorted out.

(Personally myself, it is up to the person in my eyes for how may kids they wan't, and its not for us to judge that at all. None of us know her and her family personally as far as I am aware.)
(and :wave: to every one:D)

Latest posts

Back