New owner questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1220smith

Reaction score
Hello, we just got this little guy today and waswondering if you could identify him for us. He is 7 weeks old and sweetas anything. Harvey is mostly tan in color with some darker tan mixedthrough, with a touch of blackish grey and white thrown in. The best wecan describe him is a brindle. His fur is very wavy (curly?) and feelslike silk. He was listed as a Dwarf Rabbit, but on the sales ledger hewas listed as a Mini Rex. Having looked at a few of each of these , Iam not sure what he is, as I have not seen any that resemble him yet.(But I haven't explored that much to be honest:))Thanks for any infoyou can give us on the newest addition to our little family.

Can you get a really clear photo ofhim? From what you are describing and from what I can tell inthe photo, he appears to be a curly coat (astrex) mini rex. Ican't see the color well, but there is a brindle coat pattern which isa result of the harlequin gene common in rex/mini rex.

Here's a website on the Astrex. Rett is one of the fewbreeders who actually breeds them, although they do show upoccasionally in rex/mini rexlitters.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Canyou get a really clear photo of him? From what you aredescribing and from what I can tell in the photo, he appears to be acurly coat (astrex) mini rex. I can't see the color well, butthere is a brindle coat pattern which is a result of the harlequin genecommon in rex/mini rex.

Here's a website on the Astrex. Rett is one of the fewbreeders who actually breeds them, although they do show upoccasionally in rex/mini rexlitters.

Pam
That would be SO cool if he is! I have wanted to see someone with this type of rabbit!

Devie D'Anniballe of Lawrence, Ohio used to have some curly coats when she was working on the Mini Plush Lop breed.

Pam

LOL pam, I saw you hadn't posted it, and I waited LOL!

I love those, they are like Bo with a perm :)

Thanks for replying so fast! The cam we haveisn't the best for close up shots but I'll try to get a better one ofhim. The icon I used as my avatar is about as clear as I can get, fornow. Also, the link did not show up in the forum.

Well -- I'm off to bed! I won't have asmuch time to play next week as we will be getting back into our busyschool schedule :(

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Well-- I'm off to bed! I won't have as much time to play nextweek as we will be getting back into our busy school schedule :(

Pam
UGH! I know, I am dreading school going back in session tomorrow :(

I also have to work tomorrow :(

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Thanks for the link, I got it after I said itdidn't show up. lol. But I must say Harvey looks like he could be thebrother of Simon on the Astrex site. He is darker in color though.Harvey is in his pen looking very sleepy, so I'll wait til tomorrowevening to try and get a bettr picture of him. Thanks to all for thequick response and hope to talk to you very soon. This is about thebest I can get for now. What do you think?

they all look the same when they are wrigglies asLindsay would call them!!! He looks like Brin when she was a wrigglie,benji when he was a wrigglie, and MooShu when she was a wrigglie. Itsgunna be a flat faced bunny thou...!!

That little squirt looks way small for 7 weeks! Actually, he looks about 4....

and is absolutely adorable!

Rose

so cute.....as far as age goes, I guess it woulddepend on the breed. I have a 10 week old baby (netherlanddwarf)in the shed right now that's smaller than Harvey.

Lanna

True, true! But the ears....and if it's a Rex,they're larger at that age...or I thought I remembered that (it's beenawhile since I had one!!). Well, for sure I know my Pals were that sizeat 4 wks.! :p:p

Rose

Some Mini Rex are rather small. Hemight be Castor or chocolate Castor (Amber)in color -- Ican't tell really well from the photo.

Pam

Bo B Bunny wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Well -- I'm offto bed! I won't have as much time to play next week as wewill be getting back into our busy school schedule :(

Pam
UGH! I know, I am dreading school going back in session tomorrow :(

I also have to work tomorrow :(

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Lol, I teach secondary school English and I'm back at school tomorrowtoo! I have some evil classes - I work in a 'challenging' (lol) school.Just hope no-one is in the mood for throwing chairs......:(

I agree that the rabbit looks a little youngerthan seven weeks. Sometimes people that the petstores get rabbits fromwill say that they are six weeks old because petsotores wont buyanything under six weeks sometimes. The petstores have to use theirbest judgment about those rabbits and hopfully they know enough to knowthat those are younger not just cuter. lol. Sometimes they dont knowhow to judge unless they actualy have raised their own rabbits. I knowI wouldnt have been able to judge ages untill mine had babies.

At the petstore were I work we had some come in that had curly hairjust like what you were describing. We get our rabbits from a retiredcouple who have a hobby farm with a cute little rabbitry. (I like tothink of mine as a cute little one but with flemish giants you justcant say that, they have little rabbits too lol) They are very nicepeople and love their rabbits so finding out what kind they where wereno problem. I found out that they were minirex breed to amini rex netherland dwarf cross and the whole litter came out with verycurly hair. It was cute because it was curly even on their ears. I toldthe breeder to breed the combo again and was very happy with hisresponse. He said that they would be in about six months since he didntwant to breed the girls too much. He didnt know that I raise rabbitsmyself. I told him that I was very happy about that.

Latest posts

Back