New owner question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysticfire

Reaction score
I just adopted a 1-year-old rabbita couple weeks ago and bought a regular cage from the pet store, but from looking at pics of other people's condos, I guess I'm confused on what's necessary for a rabbit's habitat. Can someone fill me in on what's needed for a happy bunny? I got married at the end of July and we've purchased a house, so we don't have a lot of money right now to devote to our new family member, but I'd like to slowly start accumulating the items needed to build something for Twix. A link to my album is in the "Welcome" forum, it includes a pic of the cage he's in now. Is it adequate until I get something bigger for him? Thank you in advance for any replies.

From the picture you posted, it looks like a big enough cage for now. I have a similar size cage, but I bought some of the storage cubes to add onto my bunnies cage, so that he has an area to run. I don't have the money to completely bunny-proof my apartment, so I don't let him out to often, so that is how he gets his exercise.

Even if you let him out for an hour or so, that will give him enough time to get some energy out. But make sure you bunny proof the area that he will be running around in.

I find Jacob loves cardboard boxes. I cut a little hole in them so he can get in, then he shapes it to whatever he wants. I have to replace it ever other week or so. He also loves toilet paper rolls. I stuff them with hay and a few pellets and he tosses it around for a few hours. I have bought him a wicker ball from the pet store, but he destroyed it within a few days, by chewing through it.

I would say slowly get a few boxes of the storage cubes until you can make a nice structure. I also find a small cat pan works well for their litter box. I bought mine at Walmart.

I hope this helps you out.

pretty much what was said above is our guide too. Our bunnies love cardboard boxes which are easily replaced. Coal loves to dig in litter boxes full of shredded newspaper too.

Hi,
Your cage seams.. "ok" I guess but bunnies really do need a lot of room to stretch, stand up, run, hop, and play.

If you want a big inexpensive cage that your bunny will be happy in, I would go with a C&C cage.
If you look in the housing section at pics, you might be able to get some ideas of C&C cages.
They are pretty cheap, the one I have is pretty huge and it only cost around $75 and its 4ft long and 2ft wide with 4 floors!
You could make a pretty nice roomy C&C cage for one bunny for around $35 probably.

You can buy the C&C panels from Bed,Bath, & Beyond. They are $14.99-$19.99.

Good luck!

i am pretty much in the same boat as you. i dont have the best cage but i let butsy out all night in an X-pen . i attach two together so she gets half of our living room for a good 12 hours a day . i also bring her outside. i am saving up for a new cage and found this site. it isnt to expensive and they are quite big. http://www.petsandpeoplebymp.com/products.html
go check it out :) make sure you get lots of stuff for her to chew on ! also, butsy loveeees to play with plastic containers. i watch her to make sure she doesnt chew, but she loves to throw them around ! hope this helps ;) goodluck ! and your bun is beautiful

Really? I wish I had come here before getting the cage I got. I let him out every night for a couple hours. He has an exercise pen that I bought from Fosters and Smith online. It's 48" round with a mat underneath. However he's already torn 2 holes in the mat. He has plenty of toys and other things to chew on in there, why did he tear up the mat? I keep wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Could I order panels from Bed Bath and Beyond online? The closest one is 2 hours away. Rabbits like lots of levels? How many panels make a good size cage for Twix? What type of bedding should I use? Am I wrong to put aspen bedding in his cage? I have so many questions, I'm sorry :(

Oh wow! Those grids are awesome! I like the 3x2 cage. I'll definitely have to measure and make sure that it will be enough room for Twix. Thanks for the link!

no problem :) i dont use any bedding at all, i used to bbut it confused her when it came to potty training. sometimes ill put a puffy blanket in her cage :)

Luckily, someone loved him enough to litterbox train him. He knew whatthe boxwas for when I put it in there, so we're good to go. Now it's just slowly getting a bigger better cage for him.

good luck :) butsy is my first bunny to ! i thought i did enough research befor buying her, but i was wrong :p im soooo glad i found this forum !

I bought a towel specifically for Jacob, and I use that as a floor... well my cage has no bottom, it rests right on the floor (to give me some extra storage cubes) so I put a towel down. He rolls it up, and bites it.

I also bought him a little stuff doggie last night so he has a little buddy in his cage. I just made sure it was a bunny safe... like nothing he can bite off and choke on. Just like I would with a baby.

So, is itok if they bite and tear, and potentially swallow, fabric? I'm always worried about that. I added a toilet paper roll in there since I've seen that is a popular play toy for bunnies. He started biting and chewing on it immediately. What toys are safe? I have those wood blocks, a hay ball (now gone), a "Flip N Toss" that he actually does flip and toss (makes noise when he shakes it), and now a toilet paper roll. Am I doing good with entertainment?

Latest posts

Back