New Netherland with some shading

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Messyhair

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just got my first bun in about 10 years and she's a purebred Netherland Dwarf. I'm interested in showing her come the spring, but I'm worried about some shading she's showing on her flanks/thighs. The color is only on the very tips of the hairs, so maybe it's something that will grow out (she's 8 weeks old), but maybe it's permanent smut?

I've attached two photos - one taken with flash and one without. Can anyone help identify if this shading may go away or, if permanent, how badly will this amount fault her in shows?

I'm really not sure if she's of good type overall, since I'm new to this, but I'm just wondering about her coloring for now.

Thanks!

- Messy -

009.jpg

010.jpg

Does she live inside or outside?

Also can you get other pictures without you holding her? Preferable one with her profile and one of her front. There are many different colors for shaded dwarfs and it's hard to tell what color yours is.

She's a sable-point, indoors only (not sure where she was kept at the rabbitry), and I tried to get some pics without anyone holding her, but she's a bit too curious to sit still.

Let me know if you need any other info.

006.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

She is cute!! I'd say it does look like smut but it also looks like she is molting so id wait and see how it turns out

Her sire is a sable point with a nice clean body colour, so I'm hoping that she'll molt out the grey-tipped hairs and look nice and clean like him. She's only about 9 weeks-old right now, so she has time.

I tried my hand at posing her tonight, but she wouldn't cooperate - especially with her front legs. Sigh!

002.jpg

Last edited:
Sable points often have smut on their bodies, but color accounts for few points compared to type. It's nothing to worry about. The only time color would really come into play is between two rabbits of equal quality where those final few points matter.

Latest posts

Back