New Mum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

India

Reaction score
Hi

Coco had her babies last night, I'm not to sure how many she had, Ihavent checked, how long should it be before you can check the babies.

Coco made a nest, and filled itall thickly with fur, and thebabies are all wrapped up in the fur, all nice and warm and snug, youcant see them at all. All you can see is them wriggling around.

Nature is so amazing. When should I check on them. Should I check themeveryday, or leave them for a few days. How do I know if Coco isfeeding them.

:magicwand:
I hope they survive. She is a first ime, and so far she has done a fantastic job. I am so proud of her.

You can go ahead and check on them as soon astheyare born. Just be sure to give mom a treatfirst. You can check on them as many times as you want buttwice a day is fine. Just be aware when you are checking themnot to pick them up and hold them as they are very wiggly.They will jump out of your hands. It is best to remove thenestbox and sit on the ground with them or to just put your hands inand check them that way.

Can't wait to see pics:)

Sharon

I just checked on the babies. They were alllovely and warm. :mrsthumper:they were all black, does thismean they will have black fur, or is that there skin colour when theyare born. I couldnt really see how many there were, I think maybe 4 or5. There little ears were so well formed and there little legs, it wasamazing. We are going to keep one. And hopefully keep it with Coco,

I will be getting her spayed soon, and I will get the youngsterspayed/neutered to. Dad is at the vets today, being neutered. I havebeen worrying about him all morning.

The black skin means it will be a dark fur (black or brown or something like that).

If the babies have nice round bellies, then mom is feedingthem. They will only get fed once or twice a day.Mom will jump in the box and stand over the babies and give them alittle clean at the same time.

Congradulations! I hope they all grow up healthy and happy.

--Dawn

When I started breeding, I checked on them not only once a day - but several times per day - and I held them and petted them.

I need to go back to doing that I think as those babies were always thefriendliest to humans....my latest litters are a bit moreskittish...but they are more curious..
Of course, my mamas were fine with me checking on them as they LOVEDthe fruit loops they'd get when I checked (only one or two fruit loopsper check).

Peg

I thought, if you pick the babies upinthe first few days,the mother will reject them and couldpossibly eat them, because she feels threatened. Becausetheyhave your sent on them. Is that right.

I have tried not to interfere to much at the moment, incase Coco doesreject them. I haven't touched them I just checked to make sure theywere okay. Then put the fur back over them.

I don't want to upset Coco or make her feel scared,she is stressed enough as it is, poor baby.

Most breeders I know handle the babies at least once a day to check them over and make sure everything is ok.

I've never had a mama reject her babies due to my handling them. Ofcourse, I give her treats when I handle them and if I'm at all nervousabout mama - I will put a dab of vanilla on her nose -by thetime she can smell them again - they smell like the nest.

Peg

Harriet (who turned out to be a buck) was in oneof my first four litters. Even before his eyes were open - he was asnuggler. I'd take the babies out to check them and wind up holdinghimf or 20 minutes or so as he'd snuggle into my hand (there were fouror five in his litter so they never got cold without him and the warmthof my hand kept him warm).

Usually I'm only holding them for a few minutes though and the warmth of my hands keeps them warm...

Peg

India wrote:
wouldnt they get cold if you took them out of the nest.

I checked on the babies tonight.

They are so strong already. I cant tell how many I have yet, I willhave a good look tomorrow, and check them all over carefully.

I cant believe how active they are, and how strong they are, at only 2 days old. They have real force.

If they are nice and active and lively does this mean mum is feeding them okay.

Mum is really protective towards them, bless her. I always make a fussof her to reassure her everything is okay, she comes over, and puts thefurback over them. She is a really fantastic mother. This isher first litter.Nature is so amazing.

The babiesstarted to crawl out of the nest today, is this normal, for babies so young to crawl out of the nest.
Yesterday the babies were really lively and active. Today they are morerelaxed and sleeping alot, does this mean that they are more contenttoday, they all have lovely big tummys so mum is feeding them all.

Very normal....don't let them crawl out of thenest, though. Make sure the nest has four sides that theycan't accidently crawl out and freeze to death.

Sharon

Back