(new mommas) Sister Rivalry. What to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all

a little background info…. I have had 2 beautiful mini lop sisters since they were 8 weeks old who have both previously had small litters. I have seperated the sisters on a different floor of their shared hutch temporarily due to their kits being different ages.
Daily the sisters have the large run together to maintain their bond since separation. However only after the first night of seperation … when I put them both in the run together they instantly started fighting. Is this normal ? Only after one night apart ?
Their bond is so close. I hope I haven’t ruined it for them C90D8343-1893-4999-BE03-D6AFF4594E3D.jpeg

I would not seperate them anymore, at least not for longer than an hour around nursing time, if necessary.

If you have a nest on an upper level, make sure the kit's can't get out of there, a at least 5" barrier that is easier to pass from the outside (like tilted board) is an option I use. When they get mobile you will not notice, and they will hide somewhere and freeze if they can't get back up.

What age are their litters?

The kits on the upper level are 3 weeks Tuesday and have been going in the 2 day old litters nest and using it to snuggle with the newborns.
I put the new nest into a shoe box as they kept scattering around on the floor as the nest didn’t seem deep.
Do you suggest I open the hutch back up so they can all share again ?

Ah, 3 weeks and newborns is tough. Had this once, it's really not easy to keep the kits out of the new nest.

I think I would block the area with the new nest off, and as long as it works make a step only the adults can get over, then place the mother in there with the nest, she can leave when she wants and knows the way back then. Depends on how your setup looks like, but definitly keep the older kits out of the new nest.

Thank you. I will see if I can make this work. Regarding the sisters fighting how will I get the both of them to get on again ? Im absolutely gutted that they have started fighting after only one night apart. I was advised by another breeder to seperate and I am regretting it totally. I appreciate your reply’s

Latest posts

Back