Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamboodles

Reaction score
I am new to rabbits and animals in general. I have been looking at Flemish giants for a really long time. I live in northern California in Susanville, searched every were to find the Flemish even as far as Southern California. I finally found one!! Only thing is they are expansive $150.00 not including the spay and neuter I was also thinking of getting a bonded pair just in case one bunny might get bored?

I also found someone two hours away who has English Lops for $50.00 but only has 1 left. I really like both style rabbits. I like the Flemish giant because of the temperament.

Now more delima.
This weeks paper come out and a woman was charged with animal neglect and some of the animals they took was rabbits, I called up the animal shelter today and I asked if they had any large or extra large rabbits such as Flemish giants, she has not clue what I was even talking about so she mentioned California rabbits and I asked if I could go and see these rabbits and she told me that I could not and not until the others were adopted out and that the other rabbits was only 5.00 to adopt, so I got a ride to the humane society but sadly they were closed. So on with the questions.

1. Are California rabbits gentle giants also does anyone have personal experience with them?

2. Should I get a bonded pair?

3. I do live in a apt, BUT I am a minimalist would that be a problem for rabbit and for rabbits? I do have managers permission.

4. Cages, oh my gosh I am scared I will get some wrong cage or something and have it be to small. I had what I thought a good size cage with coroplast and fleece lining but it turns out it was not wide enough. English Lop breeder told me that that was the cage I was gonna order. I have been looking at those pet pens but if bunny is not yet litter box trained what do I put underneath it so the rabbit or rabbits does not pee on my carpet? I have been looking all over for a nice size rabbit cage and I don't think they exist and if they do are they reasonable price?

I did check out the price of wood bedding pellets here 40 pound bag for like $5.00 How long does a 40 pound bag last? Can I buy like 4 bags at a time and stalk up? How can I store it? Do I need a galvanized trash can or can I store it in a plastic container? I found jumbo sizes of timothy hay at walmart can I stalk up on that also or will it go bad? I know this is a lot of questions and I apologize in advance. I have been looking a long time for a rabbit. I am on disability for Lupus and I think it would really help with loneliness if that makes sense, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my mini book take care.

Welcome!! This place is a wonderful resource for rabbit related questions!

I have experience with all three breeds: English lops, Flemish giants, and Californians, I own one of each. They are all incredibly sweet and docile rabbits. English lops and Californians both have the gentle giant personality that flemish's do. From there is really depends what breed you prefer. My English lop is INCREDIBLY playful and loves attention, as do lots of them. My Flemish is somewhat lazy and thinks she's a dog. My Californian is incredibly sweet and loves sitting around being pet and climbing on me. Each rabbit will have their own personality, but I love all three breeds and believe that they are all that fun gentle giant rabbit.

A bonded pair is nice because it can give the rabbits company, but not necessary. You could also get two different breeds and bond them. It's especially easy if they are young, or if you bring them into your home at the same time.

I can't comment in your living situation exactly, but I doubt it would be a problem. Rabbits are great apartment pets, just make sure it's rabbit proofed!

For large breeds like you're looking for I would suggest a pen rather than a cage. They need more space then smaller breeds. You can put linoleum down underneath, it's cheap and easy to clean. They also make some pens that come with mats or bottoms already made.

You can store wood pellets almos anywhere. Personally I don't use them, I used shredded paper for litter, but they should last you some time. Depending on how big the litter box is and how much you use in it will make a difference. You'll end up having the change the box once every day or every other day. You may be able to go longer with wood pellets though, not sure. Timothy hay does not go bad, you can buy lots at once. Feed stores sell it pretty cheap too. Lots of times they will have bags as well as large bales, so you wouldn't have to buy a whole bale.

Not sure how helpful all that was, if you have any other questions ask!

That pen is perfect! The nice thing about larger breeds is they tend not to be able to jump out of the pen as well as smaller breeds, which means you don't have to get a super tall one. And if you ever happen to be in the bay area a few of my friends are Flemish giant breeders and just had litters.

Before I seen this weeks paper I was willing to rent a car down south to rescue some bunnies but no one got back to me same with Reno. I am gonna try the humane society again tomorrow, I really hope they let me see the California rabbits. I don't think we get rabbits here very often. For all of the rabbit breeders you all are so lucky to be able to have such fine rabbits.

What is "binking" and how do you know if a rabbit is kissing you and not trying to bite you? I know it sounds strange but really I haven't experience with animals and I want a companion bunny. I have another question about the nails. Can I take them in to get get the nails done if not I have seen those nail files called pedipaw is that ok to use?

Thank you for the reply, I will have to call the vets here and see if they have that service here. I am not sure if they are experienced in rabbit care or not. I hope so.

Welcome! And good for you for doing your research before :)

I have no experience with the big breeds. Agnes is a Lionhead and so only about 3 lbs. But I've heard the big breeds are so gentle.

You got some great advice on pens. And rabbits make great apartment pets. Just remember rabbits love to chew and dig so bunny proofing is needed!

Rabbits are fantastic animals. I think they make great pets. If you are lonely or stressed I think they would do wonders for you in that area. Agnes has taken over my heart. She makes me laugh everyday. Their personalities are hilarious and just watching her binky makes me so happy.

Oh and a binky is the term used to describe the happy jump that bunnies do. They kind of twist and flop in the air. It's a sign of a happy bun.

As far as licking and nipping. You will be able to tell the difference. Some buns nip for affection or when they want attention. It's a good habit to deter them of though. They need to be taught that we humans don't have fur so using their teeth can hurt. Agnes learned very fast. I would just say no and push her head gently down (mommas do that to kits) and she no longer nips. She is a licker though and will lick and lick to groom me. She is so sweet :)

I sure hope you can find a rabbit. I'm sure you will. If you do get one of the rescues that were neglected, keep in mind that they might be more aloof due to their history with the bad owner. Don't get discouraged though. Patience and time and gentleness and most rabbits will bond again with humans.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Thank you for the welcome!
Here is the link to the bunnies!!
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=Rabbit&pet_breed=&location=96130&distance=100

The first three are at the shelter here. Blackie I think was added today. Could Blackie be a Flemish and Sugar a California? Or maybe a mix? I am trying to arrange a cage I have C&C style cage well the makings of a cage but no bottom right now so that saves some cash.

Now I have priced out some pens here in town they are way over priced. Walmart here just does not carry them only online.

Here is what I have budget for. Bear in mind this is rather unexpected so I am trying to do this in the most cost efficient way and most comfortable for bunnies.

1. Two bunnies at 5.00 each from humane society

2. One - Two 40 pound wood bedding pellets. If this is not enough for the month please let me know.

3. Storage Containers, I have two large containers empty at home for the pellets. I think Rubbermaid

4. Enough C&C panels for a 2x4 or a 2x5 cage need advice please if that is not good choice then next month I will go to plan B and get the exercise pens as advised

5. Two jumbo size bags of timothy hay from Walmart. I might be able to get it cheaper from The Pardner not sure yet. If this is not enough for the month please let me know.

6. Timothy Rabbit Pellets 12 pounds Oxbow brand essentials 12 pounds. Walmart. I read to use Oxbow brand because of the high fiber content and they don't use additives. If this is not enough for the month please let me know

7. Round cardboard looking thingy from Walmart "toy"

8. Plastic rings "toys"

9. My oldest who just moved out wanted to help also so she has offered to get either water bottle or water and food dish.

10. Litter box. I am not sure on the right size of litter box at this time once I can actually see the bunnies I will take pictures like a mad woman I think.
:lookaround

11. Spay and neuter I have some money set aside for that also. I am hoping it is not to much. I do know the bunnies are not fixed. I did ask if they help in spay and neuter and they told me no but the website say different so when I go in I will ask about that also. I called the vet today and they are closed but I will have more information about that Monday. If I am missing anything in my list please let me know. And that you all for replying.

Sugar looks like a hotot mix probably with Californian. Blackie or gray could be Flemish mixes, but tough to tell without knowing the size. That looks like a good list to me. Walmart sells cheap $2 cat litter pans that work well. As far as spay/nueter there are clinic that charge between $50-100 around, but not sure how conveniently located any of them are to you.

A checkered giant 19 pounds wow!! If I had a car I would probably want to drive there and pick her up yes. In fact I am driving my daughter my crazy with the ones that are here at the humane society that I haven't even seen yet just talking about it. The hotot rabbit I never even herd of. I will look it up probably tomorrow. I am really glad I found this forum it has already helpt me a lot. I have done countless hours of research and with in what seems minutes I got all my questions answered that no internet searching could answer. I am so excited that I could very well be taking home two rabbits Monday oh I could just burst! I am happy, excited, nervous all at the same time. I guess I want everything to be perfect for them. I know they don't have big rabbits here often if at all. Next month I will complete the cage with coroplast and fleece and I will be on the hunt for some large rabbit beds so they something nice to sleep on. I was also wondering can I rename them or will that just confuse them? And also does anyone remember there first bunnies? Did you have bunnies from then on? And does anyone suffer from allergies from other pets and not bunnies? I hope everyone has had a fantastic day. Take care.

Welcometo Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Hopefuly, your bunny will never get sick,if you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Welcometo Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Hopefuly, your bunny will never get sick,if you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Hello and welcome! :) I'm so jealous you're getting a giant breed, they seem wonderful! My rabbit was a shelter rabbit, not 100% sure of her breed, but she's probably a fuzzy lop or possibly lionhead/something.

As for the allergies thing, I am allergic to cats, rats, dogs... basically every animal under the sun! So I was looking for an animal I wasn't allergic to (Literally by stuffing my face into different kinds of animals and seeing how I reacted, not a pleasant experience...) I stuffed my face into a rabbit's fur and... no sneezing! No watery eyes! So no rabbit allergies for me. :)

Thank you for the welcome here are some pictures I took of him yesterday. His name is Chance. :)
0716121422.jpg

0716121409.jpg

Latest posts

Back