New member, dealing with loss of my bunny Walter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

A little over a week ago, I got married on the beach in Florida (it was a small elopement) and our first few days of marriage were wonderful. However, after the 4th day of being home, our Standard Rex bunny, Walter, passed away. It was quite unexpected and we've been heartbroken ever since.

Six and 1/2 years ago, I was going through a particularly rough time and was looking to get a bunny to help with depression and loneliness. A set of unfortunate circumstances kept me from being able to get a bunny on the day I had planned (my 30th birthday). My best friend Ashley, sensing my hurt, introduced me to a bun she had seen at the store earlier in the day. She insisted on taking me to look at it with her and see if I would want to take him home? Sure enough, I fell in love with this small grey bun (he was 8 weeks at the time) who was just casually lounging by himself in a cage. I named him Walter.

Over the years, Walter would meet many friends and family, including my now-husband, Tony. Everyone who crossed paths with Walter loved him and knew how much of a part of my life he was. He had a huge personality and big heart, a truly unique bun who was with me at the lowest point in my life and left me at my happiest time. It's almost as if he was closing one chapter of my life, leaving me only once he saw I was gonna be okay.

I found it has been therapeutic to talk about Walter with others who have suffered a loss of a pet, but I find that rabbit owners would especially understand what I'm going through. Tony and I do intend to bring home a pair of bunnies at some point, but are not ready at this time as we are still grieving the loss of Walter. For anyone who has recently lost a bunny, I want you to know that I understand and am here if you need to talk. I know you may not want to look at photos or see your bunny's toys still laying around (painful reminders), but please allow yourself to feel the pain. Looking at past photos and videos of Walter with Tony has actually helped me in some way even though it's still been very hard. It's as if we are celebrating his memory.

Time goes by so quickly, especially for bunnies, and before you know it they are old, even if they don't seem old. In hindsight, I feel there are so many things I could've done differently to prolong Walter's life; indeed the guilt has been very real, but I keep reminding myself what I great life he had, and that he was never without anything. Thank you for letting me share this with you, and please hold your buns close today and always.

Cara

Attachments

• Walter 1.jpg
    Walter 1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Walter 3.jpg
    Walter 3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Walter 2.jpg
    Walter 2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 4
Everyone grieves differently for their bunnies. And bunnies dying unexpectedly is not unheard of. I'm truly sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story. The important thing to remember is that he had a great life with you and he passed away, knowing how much you loved him.
Rest in peace, Walter.
Congrats on the marriage and welcome to Rabbits Online. I hope things become better for you and your husband.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It truly is heartbreaking to lose a bun that you form a special bond with. I lost one such special bun years ago. I didn't have her long but felt such a strong emotional connection with her. I was devastated when she died. So I completely understand.

Everyone grieves differently for their bunnies. And bunnies dying unexpectedly is not unheard of. I'm truly sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story. The important thing to remember is that he had a great life with you and he passed away, knowing how much you loved him.
Rest in peace, Walter.
Congrats on the marriage and welcome to Rabbits Online. I hope things become better for you and your husband.
Thank you so much 🤗

I'm very sorry for your loss. It truly is heartbreaking to lose a bun that you form a special bond with. I lost one such special bun years ago. I didn't have her long but felt such a strong emotional connection with her. I was devastated when she died. So I completely understand.
Thank you, and it is hard. I'm sure we will never forget them 💜

It's almost as if he was closing one chapter of my life, leaving me only once he saw I was gonna be okay.

Thank you for sharing Walter with us! ☺ ☺ ☺ I was going to say something encouraging along those lines, but you beat me to them.

I'm sorry for your loss, and please grieve however you need to, and know that likewise, we are here for you if you need it! Walter was a very special little man, and to grieve his loss is right.

Binky free, Walter!

Thank you for sharing Walter with us! ☺ ☺ ☺ I was going to say something encouraging along those lines, but you beat me to them.

I'm sorry for your loss, and please grieve however you need to, and know that likewise, we are here for you if you need it! Walter was a very special little man, and to grieve his loss is right.

Binky free, Walter!
Thank you so much. Being able to talk about things and share Walter's story has really helped.

It's almost as if he was closing one chapter of my life, leaving me only once he saw I was gonna be okay.
Animals are always finding new ways to show their loyalty and love. Walter just found one the most creative ones yet for the human he adored. Blinky free loyal Walter!

Sorry for your loss, and congrats to your marriage. Everyone has their own way of grieving and he had a great life being well loved with you while he was. So many other comments to you here and I couldn't really say anything any different. My heart goes out to you now and always as there will be moments of missing him more than others just depending on things happening that may remind you of him. Continue to be strong and I ask for your continued comfort and peace with knowing he is binkying around over he rainbow bridge with many other of the most unconditionally loving souls who crossed before him and greeted him there upon his arrival. This is how I deal with the loss of any beloved family member or friend who have crossed that same bridge. If I didn't have some way to think about their loss I would never keep opening the door of my home to so many of them who need a loving and safe home. I can't count the many times I have said I will never have another "_____" again because their loss hurt so bad and I felt like I never wanted to feel that way ever again, only to keep on taking in more as they found me or my husband. Nice to meet you, welcome here, I too am new here.

Welcome, I recently lost a bunny, and what you said helped me more than you could know.

congratulations on the marriage 🥳

Sorry for your loss, and congrats to your marriage. Everyone has their own way of grieving and he had a great life being well loved with you while he was. So many other comments to you here and I couldn't really say anything any different. My heart goes out to you now and always as there will be moments of missing him more than others just depending on things happening that may remind you of him. Continue to be strong and I ask for your continued comfort and peace with knowing he is binkying around over he rainbow bridge with many other of the most unconditionally loving souls who crossed before him and greeted him there upon his arrival. This is how I deal with the loss of any beloved family member or friend who have crossed that same bridge. If I didn't have some way to think about their loss I would never keep opening the door of my home to so many of them who need a loving and safe home. I can't count the many times I have said I will never have another "_____" again because their loss hurt so bad and I felt like I never wanted to feel that way ever again, only to keep on taking in more as they found me or my husband. Nice to meet you, welcome here, I too am new here.
Thank you so much for your kind and inspiring words. I will remember what you said. Bunnies are amazing and are hard to let go, but let go we must so we can welcome more 💜

Welcome, I recently lost a bunny, and what you said helped me more than you could know.

congratulations on the marriage 🥳
Thank you so much 🤗 I'm sorry for your loss. In time I'm sure it will get easier for us 😢

Latest posts

Back