New member and new to rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

listentotheraine

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been doing a lot of research lately about rabbits because I'mlooking into possibly adopting one, but of course I want to get as muchinfo as possible before I go and adopt another member into my fuzzyfamily.

Now, in doing research, I have found out that there so so many breedsof rabbits! Are there any big personality differences between thebreeds, that you've noticed, or are they all just dependent on theindividual rabbit? I would be trying to find a more calm, lessenergetic bun, and not a teeny-tiny one, either. Amiddle-large sized bunny.

Do males and females, in general, have different traits? I know, forexample, female rats, in general are bouncy and playful and males aresnuggly and lazy. Do rabbits have general distinctions between thesexes as well or not as much?

Do rabbits like to snuggle, or are they more aloof and rather not have peoples attentions?

I'll probably think of more questions later...but that's it for now. Thanks!

Hello,

yes, many breeds of rabbits can be oh so hard to choose from. I,myself, choose to stick with the Medium-Large size breeds like the NewZealands, Californians and Satins. My Red New Zealands seem to be verylaid back and love snuggling, but it completely depends on the rabbit.The males tend to spray, but then again, some don't. But again, itcompeletly depends on the rabbit I think, and how they've been handled.Be sure when you're picking out a rabbit to do as much research on thebreed as you can. Fit the size of the pen to the size of the rabbit,and the type/amount of feed it gets. As always, lots of TLC proves tobe a huge plus in the relationships between you and your buns.

Kat

lol so many questins so little time lol

Q 1. some breeds are more snugglythan others , flemish, lops , and rex breeds comefirst to mind for snuggly,Dutch on the other hand canbe aloof and standoffish depending on hte rabbiti have one dutch sweet as sugarand one dutch that is a snottybrat ,

Q 2 see above Q 1 male :snuggly, female snotty , But ithink its Buck who has afemale Dutch who is asweety so ya never know.i also have females thatare sweet and maleswho are snots ,in other breeds soreally ou never reallyknow till you seehow they are going to reactwith you ,

Q 3 some rabbits loveto snuggle somedont again all followingthe same as above lolsorry dont sound like much help iknow but withRabboits this is how it is .

the more wuestionsyou ask the betterinformed you willbe also when you geta minute please check out theCheat Sheets forRabbits at the begining ofthe forum it willhelp you a lot

welcome to the forum << >>

Personally, I think it depends on the individualrabbit, but I've heard that larger breeds tend to be more mellow andsmaller/dwarf breeds more active. Don't quote me on that though! ;)

If you're looking for certain personality traits, I would recommendvisiting some of your local shelters or rescue organizations. Many ofthe caretakers at shelters get to know the animals personalities quitewell, and could probably find you a good match. In addition, you mayfind a rabbit that is already fixed and litter trained too. In the nextfew weeks/months, many shelters will be flooded with unwanted easterbunnies. There would be plenty to choose from!

Try www.petfinder.org to find shelters and available animals in your area.

Wow, what a flow of responses, and it's only been up for a short while!

Thanks so much to everyone who's already commented, it's all helpful, and the more information I can get, the better!

I would have to say you descriped aFlemish Giant. They are also known as the "Gentle Giants" They are veryloving. They want to be with you. Mine follows me like a puppy. Theyare very affectionate. I have found that the males tend to be morelovey and snuggly.

There are three posts I can think of off the top of my head.Flemish Fever, Apollo's Acrs and Fergi's FAmily that have Flemishphotos and stories.

They are generally 14 pounds and up. Definitely not little lol. Apollo is 18 pounds.

ThumbSucker.jpg

Good Luck.

Tina

>>Now, in doing research, I have found out that there soso many breeds of rabbits! Are there any big personality differencesbetween the breeds, that you've noticed, or are they all just dependenton the individual rabbit? I would be trying to find a more calm, lessenergetic bun, and not a teeny-tiny one, either. Amiddle-large sized >>bunny.

You need a Palomino. (here we go again folks, Rose's Pal promo!!:p)

Pals are medium-large bright orange rabbits that weigh between 8 and 11lbs. at maturity. Females are larger than males, and can be abit snippy when unaltered. They prefer quiet, slow movements, and headscratchies. Males are sweet, happy, bouncy, outgoing, like full-bodycontact and wrestling games. They can be disgusting whenunaltered--mainly spraying and sexual behavior. This is especially anissue when the owner is an adult female. They have this "girlfriend"complex about their owners sometimes. It's quite funny.

They are very, very, verybright. And yes, the boys especiallyare pretty energetic, but I find my Bub's activity level just perfect.He knows his name and comes immediately when called, most of thetime. He is extremely trainable and figured out the litterbox andharness concept very quickly. Bub loves people, especially children,and is basically a very large live stuffed toy. Very, very gentle. Weplay chasing and wrestling games like you'd play with a puppy, and hedoesn't like me to leave him (he grabs my arm with his front feet andholds on so I can't shut the door). He is an unaltered male, but I'mused to dealing with those issues and am keeping him intact forbreeding stock.

He weighs about 10 lbs. and is 8 mo. old.

7346bb84.jpg

6774aa4e.jpg

I thoroughly enjoy the breed, and Bub in particular. His dad Bunbun was exactly like him.

Good luck on your hunt, whatever you get!

Rose

dajeti2 wrote:
They are generally 14 pounds and up. Definitely not little lol. Good Luck.

Except in Nimue’s situation, where he decides to weigh 22lbs.....and Iagree with Tina, to me Flemishes are the best breed. I also haveHolland Lops, A Dutch, and a Mixed rabbit....none of them are as sweetor as nice as my Flemish, but I am not saying that those breeds cant benice and sweet, I am just saying that mine arn't that nice.

I also have pictures of my Flemish
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6030&forum_id=1

This is how big my Flemish is (picture below)...they normally don’t getthis big. Some one said he got this big because he was neutered...thatso far is the only explainable reason.

Nimmy1.jpg

~Amy+Nimue~
(Nim-a-way)

I have 3 rabbits - A himalayan rex, a lionheadand a dwarf lop! Personally, out of my 3, the himalayan is thefriendliest and most relaxed although he has his hyper moments. he isalso a medium/large breed. My lionhead is a smaller breedand she isfriendly but not quite as tame. Although, she is loverly. My dwarf lopi only got yesterday but again he extremely tame and lovely.Overall, i would say that males appear friendlier/ tamer but thats justmy experience. Hope you choose the perfect rabbit,

leanne :)

For larger breeds i reccomend new zealand whiteor reds,flemish giant,minilop,and satins.I think males are better petsusually.temperments do vary from rabbit to rabbit in any breed.bluebird

listentotheraine wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've been doing a lot of research lately about rabbits because I'mlooking into possibly adopting one, but of course I want to get as muchinfo as possible before I go and adopt another member into my fuzzyfamily.

Now, in doing research, I have found out that there so so many breedsof rabbits! Are there any big personality differences between thebreeds, that you've noticed, or are they all just dependent on theindividual rabbit? I would be trying to find a more calm, lessenergetic bun, and not a teeny-tiny one, either. Amiddle-large sized bunny.

Do males and females, in general, have different traits? I know, forexample, female rats, in general are bouncy and playful and males aresnuggly and lazy. Do rabbits have general distinctions between thesexes as well or not as much?

Do rabbits like to snuggle, or are they more aloof and rather not have peoples attentions?

I'll probably think of more questions later...but that's it for now. Thanks!
Every breed is different in their own way, whether it be size,personality, or something else. Males(Bucks) and femlaes(does) don'treally have different traits. Their personalities may be somewhatdifferent, but that's determined on how they're raised, well sometimes.If you get a rabbit that has always been handled or that has beenhandled from Day 1 then yes they will probally cuddle with you, thoughnot all will.

I think I found the perfect bunny, guys...

I've been looking at different shelters and rescue groups and ran across this guy on petfinder.com...

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4230903&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=4248918d4db82879-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat

I've sent an email and am anxious for a reply...I would love to hearwhat they say about him and actually meet him in person - he looks sosweet, and apparently tolerates a harness, or at least he is in thatpicture, and they say he loves to be held. I think I'm in love already.

I think the sweetest rabbits are French Lops. Thegenerally weigh 10 lbs and up. That rabbit looks exactly like a FrenchLop/Mini Lop Cross. He's cute. I have mIni's and French Lops and soundsperfect for what you are looking for.

Chels

listentotheraine wrote:

I've been looking at different shelters and rescue groups and ran across this guy on petfinder.com...

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4230903&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=4248918d4db82879-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat

I've sent an email and am anxious for a reply...I would love to hearwhat they say about him and actually meet him in person - he looks sosweet, and apparently tolerates a harness, or at least he is in thatpicture, and they say he loves to be held. I think I'm in love already.
That bun is so adorable!

listentotheraine wrote:

OMG that rabbit is SOOO cute!!!
~Amy+Nimue~
(nim-a-way)

listentotheraine wrote:

That bunny is adorable!

I have a male mini lop and he is just the sweetest guy! Iabsolutely adore him. He has a bunch of insane habits, hewill only come out of the top door in his cage for example and he is ahuge begger for any kind of treat.

I also have 2 mini rex (1 female--Basil's a littleprissy and 1 male -- I just got him, he is very sweet, but I don't knowhis personality yet), 1 female holland lop --Daisy is kind ofshy with other people, but very cuddly with me, 1 mini rex mix--Orion is a baby, so he has tons of energy, but when he getstired, he comes for some love and 1 californian -- Elvis is my big guy,someone dumped him on a friend's porch, but he got through his ordealREALLY well. They don't come any sweeter thenElvis. He loves to sit on my lap and just get some pets.

I think it depends on the individual rabbit, although most people willagree that the larger breeds are sweeter. My next bun will bea flemish...I just have to move first so he will have enough room.

Jen

Now would be a GREAT time to check your localshelters. Many, MANY bunnies are given to kids as gifts forEaster. People don't realize what a responsibility bunniesare. So many sweet buns end up alone in a cage waiting for aloving home. Good luck. (I like themedium or larger breeds-they aren't as jumpy as the dwarfs.)

If you have young children, larger rabbits areusually better just because of size. Shelters have greattempered rabbits that are just adorable too! And you get tohelp a little bunny find a good home too.

Latest posts

Back