New member and bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350nr

Reaction score
Hi, i recently joined the forum couple days agoto gain few tips about rabbits and to have fun. So far this site hasbeen gold! :)

We apoted a dwarf bunny yesterday from a local petshop and so far its been great.
We bought him the rabbit starter kit which comes with a cage and allthe accessories and food. The starter kit cost close to $90...is that areasonable price? the lady was telling us that it will cost more if weget everything seperate.:dunno

Today, I made him a little shelter house made from cardboard box. Willthe cardboard box hold or will the bunny start chewing it? or evenworse...choke? I wanted to get the bunny a wooden house butseems like the pet stores dont carry wooden houses for rabbits.

anywho, thank you for letting me introduce myself!

Good morning, your new baby is verycute!!! You will have many years of enjoyment withhim I am sure. As far as the cost of things go, you willlearn as timegoes onmore about your bun and hisneeds. You will also learn that you can buy supplies otherplaces than the pet shop.

Lots of rabbit owners buy their rabbit food at the feedstore. Several of us on this forum use Woody pet or woodpellets for litter. This as well as other rabbit supplies canbe bought a Tractor Supply or Agway stores.

Some people buy pet supplies on line. Some of us go toWalMart to the baby section to buy toys.Babyrattles, keys and links are great inexpensive toys foryour rabbit.

A card board house is fine for your bun. Yes he will chew itbut that is part of the fun. My 2 do "construction" on theirhouse all the time. I also have a card board cement formtunnel that I bought from Lowes Hardware store.

Lot of toys can be made. A good thread to follow isnaturestee. They make some really cool things for theirbuns. Enjoy your baby!!!! Oh,forgot to say welcome and glad that you found us!!!:) BeckieTrouble and Trixie

Hi 350nr! :welcome1to our hoppy home.

Pet stores are prettyawful places to get rabbits, sorry tosay. The 'starter kit' is likely full of junk the bunnyeither doesn't need or shouldn't have.Looking atthe pic (and what an awesomely cute bunny!!), the foodlookspretty bad.Rabbit food with coloredbits is considered 'junk food', the pellets are okay, but too often thebunnies pick out the colored bits and leave the pellets. Bestto slowly switch to a diet of unlimitedplain pellets(high protein alfalfa at that age) and as much hay as hewants. When he's older, you can start with afewveggies and treats.

If they gave you vitamins and salt licks, neither arenecessaryfor rabbits, and as a rule any pet store treats areactually detrimental.

And even without seeing the cage, it's probably too small.Unless the cage is big enough to take at least three full hops whenhe's full grown, also best tobuild a big cage from NICcubes. (Does the cage have a door that allows the bunny to goin and out on his own? The ones that only open in the top areparticularly bad).

I never ceases to amaze me how pet stores can sell some of the stuffthey hawk for rabbits. They're supposed to be a trustedsource in pet care.

But this isn't much of a welcome, is it!! So sorry for the rant! :rant:

To answer your question, the cardboard box is a great idea, I usesquare ones with a big exit and a little side exit,and minelove it! And it's fine if he chews it, it won't hurthim,they usually eat bark from trees, samething. Just avoid the kind with shiny, processedsurfaces.

Again, glad you signed up and sorry for the rant!

sas :)

Hi there welcome to the forum!!

I agree with what Sas said, all (well most)pet stores arelike that:(But don't blame yourself, the rules of bunnycarejust aren't made public enough, so people don't know any better.:(

But now that you have found RO you will get soo much valuable information!!:colors:

Your little bunny is adorable.:inlove:

Michaela:), Ebony:bunny5 and Pebble:anotherbun

Hi 350nr! :welcome1

Congrats on the new bunny! He's very cute! He sorta looks like the same coloration as my bunnyLatte:
IMG_0966.jpg

(He's the one on the right. He's not a dwarf though, so don't befreaked out by the size of his ears!) I got him when he was 6 months,so I never got to see him as a baby. Your boy is the closest I've seento it!

That price seems like it's standard at petstores. I paid about thatmuch as well, but I didn't know about things like NIC condo cages thatyou can build for a lot cheaper. Now I know!

Hope to see you around the forums!

~Lauren

Thank you all for the compliments and the warm welcome!

Yeah, i will take the advice and get rid of the 'junk food' that came with the kit.
The kit isnt as bad as it seems from the local petstore. Ithink once he gets to an adult size, it might be little bit small forhim though.

cagelm7.jpg

I been looking at the NIC cages and they are simply amazing!! long asyou have creativity, you can build an bunny castle. :shock:

oh btw, very cute bunny Lauren!! :D

This girl I know got the exact same kit!

She has two rabbits, about the same size as yours. I guess your bunny will have more room! :)

That is an ADORABLE bunny, btw. SOOOO cute. Reminds me of my Cookie when he was small(er). Hehe.

Latest posts

Back