New house for Cookie & Fudge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heaven33uk

Reaction score
Hiya all :)

I'm having a hard time working out where my buns are gonna live. When I first got them, they were gonna live in a hutch in the garden but I've now decided to keep them indoors. At the moment they're living in a large pet cage but it's borrowed and I need to give it back soon.

My hubby doesn't want the buns in the living room as he's worried that they'll smell and make too much mess (my buns never smell, I clean them out every other day) and he's also worried that if they pee out of the cage, they'll ruin our floor. There's no room for them anywhere else downstairs so I've decided they can come and live in my computer/craft room as I spend pretty much all of my time up here.

I have a part of my room that used to be a boiler cupboard but hubby cleared it all out and put shelving in there so I'm thinking ofbuilding them a multi storey house in there. The space measures32 inches wide by 24 inches deep and is 78 inches high so was thinking of doing this 2, possibly 3 layers but need to know if this is enough space for them. I want them to have full use of my room when I'm up here but it needs some serious bunny proofing first. There's lots of cables and I have 3 large paper/cardshelving units all at floor level and I don't want them to start eating my supplies.

For the actual house, what's the best thing to have on the floors. Hubby is gonna make the main structure with plywoodbut I need to line it withsomething that can be wiped down but something they can't chew. Would lino flooring be ok?

We're also planning a large fold away run for the garden so we can take them out for some fresh air when the weathers nice (which doesn't happen often in England lol).

Does this all sound suitable? I'd appreciate any help or ideas with this.

Jo x

Fold away run sounds super!

Lino will work well. Tack it down and glue it down well to your desired surface, and you should be good to go...

Can you post some pics of the space you're working with so we can visualize a bit better?

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them :) I'm actually now thinking of completly tearing the whole room out and redesigning it to better accomodate the buns and also make it easier to conceal the computer cables etc.

Jo x

^ Aw you are so nice and accommodating to your bunnies! I'm sure they appreciate it =)

You could assure your husband that bunnies don't smell. Maybe because they're prey animals they don't have a strong smell that we humans can detect. Any smell that comes from having a bunny is things like the pine bedding in litters or if you don't change out litters often. Even the poop doesn't smell that much. Plus the little balls are much easier to clean! As long as you change out the litter everyday, there really is no smell from having bunnies.

If you're worried about litter accidents, you can line floor of the cage with welcome mats that are rubber on one side, kind of like bath mats. That way, any thing that falls won't go through to the floor. My bunny never has accidents though. She poops wherever, but she always pees in her litter. I think most bunnies are like this too, since they are naturally clean.

I've now bought some of the Slemka storage units (like the NIC ones) to build a cage for the girls. I've also decided not to use the area I was originally planning on but will tear out my entire computer desk (all built to fit the space by hubby lol)and build the cage there. It's wider than the original space and I can go higher if I want to so it's much better. I'm just waiting for hubby to get some plywood for the floors then I can make a start. He's also gonna put some extra power points in my room so I can keep all of my computer cables away from the bunny's area (they'll have about a third of my room all to themselves).

I'm dying to get started lol, I spent ages working out a design for the cage with some extra special touches to make it unique.

As soon as I'm done I'll post some before and after pics of the areas and the new cage :)

Back