New Horse!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
arabmare-1.jpg

This is the new Girl! They're calling her Sherry-Lynne but I'm going to be calling her Oriana sinc my mother's name is Lynne and her sister(my aunt)is Sheri. 14.2 HH Arabian mare! I LOVE arabians ever since I got Jasmine. I have always loved Grays sicne before I ever got my dog or any of my horses. She's possibly bred to a Quarter Horse for a 2011 foal.

P6070012.jpg

This is Jasmine, she started my horse ownership world. She was a rescue that no one had time or room for, while I was in NY. a College friend of mine called me up one day and said, "Heather I have a horse coming your way. I know you work with a youth, and I think Jazz would be great for her." My friend and I had met in college and we used to take her two show horses out trail riding after class. She got her as a rescue- abused, neglected and in rough shape. She didn't have time nor hte money to pay the board so sent her my way and Jazz is my best horse, I may be too big to ride her(I look stupid, I'm tall) but we sometimes hack around bareback. She's 14.2HH as well. She's in wonderful shape now! I got her at 200 pounds underweight, that was after my friend had gotten some weight back on her.

P5150074.jpg

This is my only gelding, hopefully soon, He's 26 year old Appaloosa(yes, without the spots) 15.3 HH, he's my college friend's retired Hunter/jumper. One I had ridden in college some. He's arthritic and we sometimes go out bareback, right now I've got to get him a new bit and work him in it to make sure it'll work.

I mostly ride bareback because of my feet. I do have two western saddles and one english saddle. The english and western's all fit Jazz, Phoenix is too swaybacked and wide withered for my saddles. I broke my toes on my right foot years ago in a winter riding class that I was helping teach(Beyond frozen and stomp-hard- onto cement) and with bone spurs and no cartalidge in my toes in my right foot, on top of a bad ankle thanks to a different riding accident I'm not supposed to be riding according to my podiatrist, so I have to ride bareback.

I'm just soo excited!! Oriana's past two foals the guy still had and they were both gorgeous babies, one by a paint, the other by a quarter horse. Good solid bone and good size so if she took I should have a nice baby to trail ride in a few years(i'm going to hope it's a mare too)

She's a beauty...very pretty horse....they are all stunning horses..

I don't really know anything about horses... but I think yours are very pretty!

It's so lovely that you gave Jasmine a loving home. she must have been skinny when you got her. she looks very healthy now.

The new girl is beautiful, love her colours :)

She's beautiful! And I love her new name. Your other horses are gorgeous too :)

What's it like having horses? How much work and expense is involved? How much time does the owner need to spend with them? What's the average day taking care of a horse like? I've always wondered this!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
What's it like having horses? How much work and expense is involved? How much time does the owner need to spend with them? What's the average day taking care of a horse like? I've always wondered this!

I know im not the OP but i also own horses lol, so i wanted to take the chance to answer this too !

What's it like having horses? It's actually very nice, they are alot of fun to watch and be around and ride :)

How much work and expense is involved? well it is a financial commitment, you need to think about everything, vet,farrier, feed, tack, etc But truthfully it's not that bad if they are on you're own property

What's the average day taking care of a horse like?
Backbreaking sometimes lol, you need to feed and water and clean around the area.
But it's rewarding and truthfully ALOT of fun !

-------------------------------------------
Now i just want to say to the OP, Congrat's on the new horse, I'm really hoping she has a healthy foal :)
Please keep us updated, and I'm sorry to hear about you're foot ):

Those horses are all beautiful!:)I used to have horses but then we moved and didn't have the room for them:grumpy:

P6160038.jpg

There's the two lovely ladies together. I'm going to give Oriana a few days to get to know me before I remove her halter. She banged herself up on the trailer, she's not used to a 2-horse straight load trailer so that was a bit chaotic(I've got an ugly rope burn on my arm). She had some ugly dreadlocks(7 to be exact) that I got out so now comes some leave in conditioner or baby oil to try and tame it a little until she can geta bath. She does need her feet trimmed, but farrier is due end of the month. She's actually only 14.1 hands, whereas Jazz is 14.2 and a half hands. her legs are thicker than Jazz's and her hooves are bigger than Jazz's. She's a sweetie. She follows me in the pasture just like Jazz does. I have a natural touch with most horses. I've gotten my hands on all of my aunts mini's which she can't. She can do that with cats and dogs that I can't. Horses and bunnies are my thing, dogs and cats are hers.

As for the questions:
She's beautiful! And I love her new name. Your other horses are gorgeous too :)

I Love having my horses. I've dreamed of owning them since I was little. I always wanted Arabians, then when I realized I wasn't going to be tiny like the doctor predicted, it went to a gray, paint and a Roan. Well I've had my paint mare, she didn't work out. Now I have my gray and she's working out wonderfully. But I love my horses, it's a chore to do everything, but it's not bad at all. I've saved for a while to afford her and that's part of the reason for selling my mini gelding(Other than he now enjoys chasing Jasmine, no one bothers Jasmine in my book) I know I can afford three horses. if farrier bills get too high, I do know how to trim them myself, I'm just not as fast. Way easier to let Micheal do them. Right now they have such a big pasture, no grain involved while it's good eating on the pasture. Check hydration levels and water tubs daily.

My average day during the summer is out, physically check each horse over for cuts and scrapes. take off or put on fly gear(mask and sheet if applicable) or fly spray. I spend as much time as I can with them, especially my arabians. Phoenix doesn't get as much attention because he's out with my aunts spotted draft mare and she's a royal pain in the arse. Heidi will kick me for no reason, she has no manners and her owner(my aunt) doesn't work with her. I check feet every couple of days for rocks.

Fall/spring is grain once to twice a day, check for cuts and scrapes(Jazz is good at cutting herself). My aunt is good at giving shots so all shots available that we can give ourselves we do. Coggins, rabies and Health Certificates are done by the vet yearly. Check Hay, hydrationand water daily

Winter is Grain twice a day. Hay, Water, hydration, physical over viewsdaily. Check water tubfor ice. Blankets as necessary- Phoenix and Jazz need them, don't know yet about Oriana. Keep vaseline on hand to keep ice out of feet. I go to daily feet checks in the winter because ice can get you quick and permanently lame a horse.

Manure is done minimum weekly in the run in. my new feild is smaller than my aunts so I have to clean the feild bi-weekly to monthly not sure yet. Right now they are in a big enough feild that We don't worry about picking up manure. Bi monthly de-wormer, with three different rotating de-wormers(Equimax, Zimectrin Gold, Safegaurd)I shave halterpaths bi monthly in the summer, monthly in the winteras their hair doesn't grow as much in the winter. I don't ride often enough to worry andI don't show(lord no!) Horses(and the buns)don't seem to pick up ticks like me and the dogs doso I haven't worried about them.

I mean it sounds like a lot but I know each horses every bump, nickerand dimples and I know when something's not right.

I hope that answered your questions!! Got anymore, you can ask, I don't mind.

Oh I'm so jealous! I've always wanted a house since I was a kid. I grew up next to a horse/pig farm and used to love going over there to groom the horses and ride them. I had two great experiences trail riding in Montana and Australia. It was wonderful!

I'm trying to buy my first house and I'm so hoping I can get one with a little acerage (in my price range) so someday I can rescue a horse!

They are real beauties. =D

Latest posts

Back