New homemade cage for Gracie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Cow

Reaction score
Our recently rescued rabbit is so big that none of the cages available in the pet stores (or online) were an acceptable size. I tried looking for NIC cubes but no luck there. SO I bought some wire and made my own cage. Hubby used a dremel to smooth the edges. I'm not sure the shelf will work because there is some give (it is very secure but gives a little when she sits in the middle). We were using an extra large dog crate but the bedding was being shoved out of the sides and the slippery floor made her unhappy. She has recovered fully from heat stress (she was abandoned at a local feed store on Thursday during the hottest part of the day. She was pretty lethargic the next day and still pretty stressed when our vet looked at her on Friday. Her new homemade cage is 34" X 30" X 30". Gracie weighs 5 lbs.

Here is Gracie in her new cage with our son, John.

JohnandGracienewcage006.jpg

JohnandGracienewcage005.jpg

Thank you! He loves bun-bun. She has already learned to come when called for some sort of fresh treat from little hands. He is used to feeding the horses and cows so he is careful about her teeth.

They are both so smart! My (human) little one is toooo little to feed the bunny.. but she sticks her fingers in his "house" alllll the time and he has NEVER attempted to bite her. He has chinned her fingers though. :p Such a blessing.

Gracie is using her shelf! I added some more towels for privacy, a smaller, high-backed litter pan, and a cardboard box. She likes to re-decorate her home, LOL! She is quite playful and active in there, so I'll be looking for even more toys (she has a roller thing and she plays with her pellet dish once she eats her daily ration).

Latest posts

Back