New here but eager to learn!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanishaEileen

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to this site which was recommended when I posted on the Edmonton Humane Society page on fb. Animals are a big part of my life and I love having the company and joys of bunnies, but also cats and dogs.

About a month ago now I had decided it was the right time for me to start looking for all the necessities I needed for a bunny. My father suggested that instead of getting one, I get two, so as to keep them company.

To be honest I was not thrilled about that idea, but I figured if it just so happened that I found two who loved each other, then I would of course not seperate them and would take both. It was mostly the extra work I was concerned about as i've never been a bunny owner and I have a cat and a dog.

Anyway I did some searching online and found it was really good for them anyway! to have a little buddy.I did start looking at cages online, and I found an add for two bunnies going to a good home, they are sisters.

Anyway I went and took a look at them, and instantly fell in love! they are both very sweet, and while one of them still does not like me that much, haha, they have integrated into my family fairly well.

It sucks because I did not get them through the spca and both need to be spayed, which is very expensive. However I will be doing it! Especially because one of them has taken a fancy to my cat and sprays her!! haha. It actually makes me laugh cuz my cat is totally whatever about it and i'm like omg! your covered in bunny pee!! haha.

Anyway as i'm new to this, I am excited to have the opportunity to learn what is good and bad in bunny language, and I look forward to sharing in the bunny joy :)

Tanisha

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bunbuns! How old are they? I know females can get aggressive/mean towards each other when they are not spayed, just a warning! It's awesome to know you'll be getting them spayed though!

I've had rabbits for 2 years now, and have lots of experience with broken legs (hopefully you'll never have to go through that!), aggressive buns, bunny language, bunny affection, scent glands, bonding, food, all that good stuff. I'd be happy to assist in anything you may need help with!

Hello and thank you!!

When I first got them they were kept in a cage that was very very tiny, you can kind of see it in some of my pics it is a small red one. I noticed that the more dominant one would actually kinda chase the other one, though they still get snuggly and lovey with each other.

I know it had mostly to do with spaying and I realize that if I get that done it would at the least help them be less stressed and also i'm hoping get rid of that tendancy. Though moving them to a bigger cage has made a big difference!

Now when Kali, the dominant one, chase Hera, the more submissive one, at least she has somewhere to go now! lol actually maybe you can let me know do girl bunnies spray?

Welcome, we need more Alberta people here (too bad you are from Edmonton :p ).

I find a bonded pair to not really be much more work than a single. There is more food, but still one cage to clean. Of course the cage is bigger.

I don't know if you were planing on this anyway, but you should go to the Edmonton Pet Expo. There will be rabbit agility and some bunny people.

ahaha! hafta keep the friendly rivalry going ey!! you Calgarians!! hehe.

To be honest i've had them about a month now, and I think it is much better I have them together and that they do really love each other. It is nice because I don't feel like one or the other is really alone, as i've read bunnies are social animals, and I work mon-fri all day long.

It works out well! They've even gotten along with my cat and dog (she is a chihuahua cross so not much bigger than the buns) so it works out well! I can let them run free and the only thing I really hafta worry about is my cords. Though I do notice they go for drywall sometimes!!

And to be honest I have not attended the expo before- do you know when it is? that is right up my alley!! I keep heading to petsmart and find the options for bunnies not that great, like foods and play toys. Also their knowledge is really limited- not just that, but apparently the yogurt treats are not that good for them so it makes me wonder why they even sell it!

Anyway thanks for the advice! Also the bunnies in your avatar are quite cute!!!

The expo is this coming weekend, so the 21st and 22nd. http://www.petexpo.ca/whats-on I do know that is can be hard to go to an expo like this and expect good bunny info. Most of the booths are dog and cat related. There are at least 2 dedicated bunny groups that will be there, so it should be worth it.
I have heard that G&E Pharmacy is good for some bunny stuff. I've never been there, but from what I have heard they have some good stuff. I know there are some bunny people from Edmonton on here who should be able to help you out more.

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Back