New here, and a question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSS1981

Reaction score
Hello. A week ago we took in a baby bunnie thatit seemed someone had abandoned. He was lethargic, and really thin, butover the past week has eaten well.

This morning when I changed his cage, i noticed a large black growth onhis face, it was not there yesterday morning when I feed him and gavehim fresh water. Unfortunately I was out most of the day, so I dontknow when it started growing! :(It's seems to be growingrapidly however.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Thank you in advance.

just wanted to add that I checked for ticks and anything else that may have been on him, but found nothing at the time

These are the best pics I can get of it.

We were trying to figure out if he's wild or not, so that we knew if weshould release him again, but not into the city (where we are)

There isnt anything on him that I can see. It looks like it's fluid under the skin. I guess I could have missed something :(

For certain appears to be a wildcottontail. I'd get him/her to a wildlife rehabberASAP. It looks like it may have apapillomavirus infection.

Pam

pamnock- could you help me find one in my area? I have know idea how to look for one :(

Is that infection deadly or contagious? We have 3 cats and a ferret as well
We're in PA, Lebanon Area

ok, I just called a wildlife rehabber, sohopefully they'll get back to me ASAP so that I know what to do withthe poor little thing

KSS1981 wrote:
There isnt anything on him that I can see. It looks likeit's fluid under the skin. I guess I could have missed something:(

Are you absolutely certain that it's not an engorged tick?

Pam

tick.jpg

I wish I could say I was 100% sure, butI guess I cant! The little bunny let me examine him reallywell, but I may have missed a small one.

Is there any way to find out?

pamnock wrote:
Are you absolutely certain that it's not an engorged tick?

Pam

tick.jpg

Pam's got some great pics, huh!!!

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:shock:

That would definitely be a job for my vet, for sure!!

Would the tick just fall off when it was full?

~Jim

I guess that would explain why it grew so fast as well, wouldn't it?

KSS1981 wrote:
I guess that would explain why it grew so fast as well, wouldn't it?

Yes ;) I would take a pair of tweezers and attempt to examinethe lump a little closer. If it is a tick just attached bythe head, pull it off ASAP. Ticks transmit diseases such asTularemia in wild rabbits.

Put the tick (if it is indeed a tick) in a container and consult with your vet on whether it should be sent in for testing.

Pam

It wasn't a tick from what I could tell :( Imoved the fur around, and it was completely attatched. I called my vetand she suggested just letting the little guy go, so we took him out toMt Gretna, and released him about 2 miles from the road.

I hope that was the right thing to do :(

Latest posts

Back