New guy not eating his hay since adding greens/veggies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMK

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice. I mentioned this in my intro, but will probably get more answers here. I adopted a 1.5-2 year old dwarf hotot (possibly cross). I don’t have the impression he has ever been given veggies/greens because at first he didn’t know what to do with them and now he inhales them the minute I give them to him!

I have been slowly increasing the amount fed, and over the last few days he has pretty much stopped eating his hay. He occasionally picks, but really only wants the veggies/greens and pellets. I have timothy hay and the greens he has been eating so far are cilantro, basil, kale, carrot tops, and come carrots. He is acting normal and eating the other food well. When I got him he was eating his hay, but has gone off it with the addition of veggies/greens.

Should I be concerned? Keep trying? Other ideas?

How much are you giving him? He's probably filling up on greens and pellets if you're letting him, just like kids will ignore their broccoli if you give them all the hamburgers they want! Limit his greens and pellets if you haven't already, only give them to him once/twice a day and furnish him with fresh hay for the rest of the day. A dwarf hotot should do well on 1 cupful of greens and 1/4 cup of pellets daily.

Replace his hay daily too, bunnies like fresh hay. :)

Thanks a bunch for the ideas! That is about on par with what I have been feeding him and I cut back the pellets a bit, but I think I will decrease it back a tiny bit and see if that encourages him to eat his hay! Silly guy!

Latest posts

Back