new girl bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messes002

Reaction score
We just got another bunny. She's a girl. but we already have 1 other girl bunny. We tried interdusing them in the bathtub and the new bunny became dominate. but then when we interduced them in the living room hair flew everywhere! I don't know what to do:?! Can they ever be let out togeter? HELP!!!!!
messes002

theyre not spayed but im afraid to becease we had a giene pig spayed her and she died becease of it

thanks for all the help! Im going to try the food answer you helped me with!

messes002:bunnydance:

If you give your location I'm sure that someone will know of a really good bunny very that could spay them. It is really worth it, because without it the health issues are much scarier! There is always a risk when they have surgery, BUT with a good rabbit vet they should be perfectly fine. I have even had a 10 year old rabbit spayed and she came through perfectly. :) It will really help their long-term health and behavior if you decide to do it.

I dont feel comfortable giving my location
I dont know why
but i do have a friend that used to own a bunny i could ask her
she got her bunny nueterded

definitely check the vet listings for your area--you really should get both neutered. We've had 27 done with no problems--very lucky I guess, but with research you can enhance your luck. When trying to bond, it takes time and females are the hardest it seems. We usually start with putting their hutches in close proximity and then do multiple, short sessions with them in a neutral area like the tub where they never go. Takes a while before you can put them out in areas they normally go together--females seem to be more inclined to territorial issues.

i dont know if i have enough money to get them neutered. does it cost alot?
Isnt it a big sugery for girl bunnies?
(I know im not good at spelling)
Ill think about it

I would do some research on what the vets cost. when I did mine I was quoted anywhere between 120.00 - 350.00 but u can call ur local HS and see if they can work something out with you. It is worth checking out

Do you know where i can check that out at?'cause I dont whant to pay more than 150 for each. Im still afraid of the sugery part of it too( i want the best for my buns but I dont want to break the bank ) my friend said that it is risky

also do the girls become scared at every big movement 'cause my boy (milo) is now a scardy bunny(he got nuetered ) Will they stop likeing people as much?

No usually after a sp/neuter the hormones take a bit to go away but then they become very docile and they still like you the same if not more, their temperaments are more calm. IMO

Go to the library section or do a search on this site under vet to see whats a good vet in your area. Or go in the yellow pages under vet and start calling. Rabbits in my area are exotic pets so u need to ask if the vet you call has worked with rabbits b4.

Ill do that but Im still afraid that it will cost to much because I dont have a lot of cash.

messes002 wrote:
I dont feel comfortable giving my location
I dont know why
but i do have a friend that used to own a bunny i could ask her
she got her bunny nueterded
It's easier for us to help you find a good bunny vet if we have an idea of where you live. If you can just tell us what State your in someone can point you in the right direction.

I have had lots of girl and boy bunny's spayed and neutered and they all came through with flying colors. The cost of the Spay out weights the risk of there lives. Your girl bunny's will be healthier as they age if they are done. The risk of mine having Cancer was the biggest motivation to get mine fixed. I had one that we spayed a little late after she already developed it, she lived about 3 more years but it's heart breaking to see her in pain and not eatting caise we didn't spay her when she was young,

My bunnies arent young they are both at least a year old.Resses is 1 and a half years old.speckels is 1 and a half to

messes002 wrote:
My bunnies arent young they are both at least a year old.Resses is 1 and a half years old.speckels is 1 and a half to
1 is still YOUNG. They can still be fixed :) Even you do it 1 at a time if you can't afford to both at once. Well worth the investment.

I'm still thinking about it but I think it sounds like a really good idea
messes

I'm not sure if these statistics are still valid now...they are a couple years old...

If a female rabbit is unaltered before they are 3 years old they stand up to a 90% chance of developing some form of uterine/ovarian cancer.

For males there are slightly better odds....I believe 70-80% chance of developing cancer.

So far these odds have held out for us:(...of all the females we have adopted over the age of 3 years...they alldied withina yearof adoption from cancer even with us spaying within 2 weeks after the adoption...

Personally I would rather have a bunn pass on under anaesthesia while being spayed rather than a lingering death from cancer...they just fall asleep and don't wake up. Much kinder.

Danielle

According tothestudies that have been done, cancer rates under the age of 3 are quite low (in the2-4% range or 2-4 out of 100 bunnies),and then spike dramatically to anywhere from 75% to 90% (anywhere between 3 out of 4and 9 out of 10 bunnies! :( ) by the age of 5. In rabbits, cancer metastisizes (I think I spelled that right) quickly, which means it spreads to other parts of the body, usually the lungs. So it really is important to get them spayed when they're younger (and yes, 1 - 2 years is still young in rabbit years!) to prevent cancer andprolong their lives!

Here are some really good online articles to read on the subject:

http://kanin.org/node/182

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

Hope that helps!

Rue

When we had the gienie pig,she died of cancer from getting spayed she didnt die imiditly.Im still sad from her death she was my favorite too:tears2:

Latest posts

Back