New Feral/Stray Cat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly09

Reaction score
We live in the country and about two weeks ago we saw a cat laying next to our shed, which is about 100 feet from our house. I went out the front door to see if he was friendly or not and I didn't even get 10 feet and he took off.

Last week we saw him again just walking through our yard past the shed. Seemed like it was part of his routine or something. So i decided to put out some dry cat food at the entrance to the shed. Last night was the first time I saw him eating. It was right as the sun was going down about 8:00 pm. After he was done eating he walked to the edge of where the yard meets the tall grass field and just sat there. I went outside to try and approach him. I started about 200 feet away. Slowly crept closer while talking to him. I got to about 50 feet and he decided to start walking away. It wasn't a run, but he seemed scared. I immediately turned around and walked the other direction to try and not scare him as much. Then again this morning at about 8:30 am he was eating at the shed again. I didn't go outside this time. I want him to feel safe to come and eat.

We have no clue whether it's a he or she, but I did name him Oliver. I am going to make sure there is always fresh water and food in the shed for him.

So now i'm just trying to figure out what are the best ways to get Oliver familiar with us. And figure out if he is a stray or true feral. We have never seen another cat around, just this one.

Here are some pictures I took from inside the house this morning.

I know! You can't really tell in the pictures but he has these piercing yellow eyes!

Soooo i'm pretty sure he isn't a true feral cat. This morning I saw where he entered the edge of the thick tall grass/weeds and just now went out and looked around. I found his face staring back at me. I did what you said and blinked slowly a bunch of times in a row. I sat down about ten feet from him and just talked to him for about 15 mins. He just stayed where he was laying in the tall weeds/grass. After that i just walked away slowly. It looked like he was trying to sleep/rest.

I plan on going out in awhile again and doing the same thing if he is still there. I might boil some chicken and see if i can throw a couple pieces his way. Hopefully it won't scare him and then he might associate me with food.

That would be a good thing! All the strays around my house are the average tabby, If I saw one like him running around I would definitely make a vet appointment for a spay/neuter. Then I would go give the rest of my cats a talk about how they need to be nice to this newcomer lol. Last time we brought in a stray the poor thing was beat up on for months finally he had enough and fought back ( he is the only one with claws) now he is the king of the house lol.

Latest posts

Back