New Easter movie 'Hop'.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it opening night. Didn't want to deal crying babies in the theater or 5 year olds. I found the movie to cute but the ending left a WTF feeling. Otherwise it was a cute movie. Every time we saw that "disapproving face" my friends went off stomping there foot. It was fun.

This movie left me running to the 7-11 to get a chocolate bunny. I didn't feel like getting another rabbit.

Well...

I WANTED to see it this weekend.
But all four theaters I looked into... Weren't playing it? WTF.

I was pretty dissapointed, since they usually always have the new movies. ):

We were at Petsmart a few weeks ago. There was a sign outside saying of you bring in your ticket stub from the movie Rango, you would get $10 off a reptile purchase. I was fuming. As a former reptile keeper, any reptile is a HUGE responsibility. Keeping the temp right, providing proper diet, and having an environment big enough for the animal (not a 10 gallon tank) is very expensive. Not to mention who knows if these herps are wild caught or captive bred.

There is a local mom and pop shop that sells pet supplies, fish, captive bred reptiles, and birds. We went in there the other day and to our amazement found rabbits. We played with all of them, but my daughter and I made a special connection with one. The staff was able to tell me name and address of the local breeder, sex, birthdate. We weren't planning to get our rabbit until the end of the month, but this little guy was special. We went back the next day and interacted with him again (he licked my daughter's arm- OMG bunny tongue- cute!). The last step was to bring my husband to meet him to see if he was right for the whole family. We got there and the little guy had been sold 15 minutes beforehand. My daughter held it together until we got back out to the car. Then she lost it. Not because she didn't get her rabbit, but because she was worried that whoever got him would just keep him in a cage, never take him to the vet, and otherwise not care for him properly.

I do think the movie is having an effect. One of the local pet shops (who gets their bunnies "shipped from corporate" and has no idea what sex they are) had some baby lionheads I saw the other day. The woman there was saying how there has been a "bigger rush" and it's started earlier than usual before Easter. They are expecting another "shipment" next week to keep up with the demand. The "rabbit starter kits" they were selling were absolutely horrid.

Okay, So I used to work at the movies. My friend told me that Randy, the owner of critter co.(only store that sells rabbits in the Shrevport-bossier area) had rabbits outisde of the ticket booth for the opening weekend of Hop.

Now, I've been in Critter co plenty of times to witness sick bunnies that are overcrowded with lack of food,water, and hay. Plus, the employees don't know basic information about the care and I made a scene in there at one point. Randy was not a happy camper.

I think it will effect the reasoning as to why people would just get a bunny not knowing the responsibility. Especially when you have pet store ownwers pushing them down your throat around easter time.

I usually start propaganda around this time and tell people if they really want a bunny go to a shelter or get one directly from a breeder that has all the history on their animals. I also refuse to sell any rabbits the week before or during easter.

I had a feeling that this film would up rabbit sales :( Same with all films with cute pets.

I would tell people to go to a breeder, they know more about the rabbits and can provide more infortmation about them than shelters can. Some if not all shelters get rabbits dumped on them or even they are rescued by a shelter and the people at the shelter don't know the full history of the rabbits, like their genetic background.

I went to see the movie with my niece and mom, it was a funny and cute movie. My niece, mom and I all liked it. I am taking my nephew to see it soon.

Also if we can educate people who are thinking about buying a rabbit or two, then we can persuade them to rethink their decision on getting them. The breeders can ask the potential adoptees of the rabbit(s) questions, like are you prepared to spend a lot of money on vet bills?. Then the adoptee will hopefully rethink their decion on getting a rabbit or two.

Sadly I don't think the movie is the only thing influencing the rabbit sales, and now that I think about it w/ it being the 4th month of the year maybe that is why so many people are rehoming rabbits BEFORE Easter even because this is the "year of the rabbit" w/ the chinese New Year thing. It could be a long rough year.

That's what my propaganda includes... education on rabbits. Some people don't realize that they can live for a long time and vet bills are enormous. I have a rabbit I've had since my freshmen year of highschool, i'm now a sophomore in college. I expect her to live for a couple more years.

But....breeders will breed specifically for "easter" bunnies to churn a profit of some kind. This bothers me a bit

SNM wrote:
But....breeders will breed specifically for "easter" bunnies to churn a profit of some kind. This bothers me a bit

Some not all.

It's finally playing in the theatres near me, I will probably go see this either tomorrow or Sunday.

Also when I was trying to find a breeder, a lot of them said they don't sell of have litters around March/April because of easter bunnies. I was really impressed, it just so happened that is when I was looking for a bun though. :p

Yup, I definitely think it's going to have an affect on rabbit sales, which is why I've been making some statuses about it on my FB. If you're friends with me on there, you might have seen one of mine...it's a bit inappropriate to post here, I think, but it was also funny at the same time; and stated to repost if you felt sorry for any rabbit going to a home as an Easter gift.

I remember when I was back in Cali a couple years ago on vacation, my "cousin" got her then-3-year old daughter a rabbit for Easter. I was extremely upset and didn't want to visit them because of it. My dad said we would be able to give them advice...uh-huh. Turns out they got rid of the baby bunny a few months later because it bit the daughter. Go figure.

SNM - Not all breeders breed specifically for Easter. ;) I for one, don't. I have had litters ready around Easter, and luckily have escaped anyone who wanted a rabbit for Easter, and if they did, they would have not gotten a rabbit from me. ;)

Emily

Latest posts

Back