new doe has diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintobean90

Reaction score
the pet store was giving her some crapy food which was a seed mix. I now have her on alfalfa pellets and timothy hay with a salt lick. I think it is just the change in food that is irritating her sensitive digestive system. I just wanted to know if this is really horrible or if it will just pass. She is binking or what ever that happy little dance is called and she is super curious and active. I clean her booty fur 2 or 3 times a day and she is eating and drinking fine. She is also grooming herself and me so she is super normal in all behavioral aspects. She is also grinding her teeth so she is happy =). Any advice?

I would give her ony a smaller amount of pellets temporarily and mostly a lot of hay until her poop becomes firm and normal .If she she did not have diarrhea when you got her then mix a little of the crappy food in with the new. Sudden changes ( as you stated can cause issues)
Also get some benebac which is a probiotic and give her a dose every few days . if you cannot get benebac then Probios in a tube (sold for horses) is also acceptable.

Ditto to everything Angieluv said.

How bad is the diarrhea? Is it just lots of soft poop or is it liquid? If it's bad, you might want to offer her some flavored Pedialyte to see if she will drink it. Or syringe-feed it if you need to.

If it doesn't clear up after you reduce her pellets for a while, you might want to have a fecal sample tested by a vet.

Sometimes tooth grinding can be a sign of pain, so if she's just sitting there grinding her teeth it may not be happiness but instead pain from her belly. With young bunnies, diarrhea can be a really serious issue that can go downhill quickly, so I recommend doing what Angieluv and Naturestee mentioned, and if that doesn't help within a day or two, she really should see a vet. I would absolutely get some probiotic into her pronto, as the main cause of GI issues in youngsters is GI bacterial imbalance, and that's also the most dangerous thing in them.

well I was super angry that the guy gave me a sick rabbit. I brought her back just because I don't want to have a sick rabbit as my first rabbit. That would mean i would have to put more money into her right off the bat and I can't right now. It got worse this morning and it was mucus. I returned her (and I was very upset about it because she was so sweet). I learned the lesson that i should never buy from that store again because they have unhealthy stock. I went to a more trust worthy store and got a lop that was traded in by a breeder. He has not shown any of the same signs of sickness.

Latest posts

Back