New digs for winter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad kelpie

Reaction score
Basil and Lump have had free reign of the back yard most of the time that I've had them. With winter coming, I wanted them closer to the house.

So I took Basil's old x-pen, and attached it to the house in a corner of the patio. Rain and snow can still get in, but not in the dog house or behind or in the back corner. They both like rain, so I don't think it will be a problem. The dog house has a metal roof, so nothing can get in there, and I will probably put a flap on the door. My roommate wants to put a lightbulb in there for warmth. I am not convinced it's necessary, rabbits don't mind cold, but she's pretty sure they need it, so I'll probably let her (cords and fixture will be chew proof).

The barbecue was just there, and I couldn't see it doing them any harm, and I didn't want to move it :).

8152006034_4a68816042_c.jpg

It's about 32 square feet, maybe a little less. It looks smaller than it is because the rabbits are big. :)

You had them running around your yard? Like in a fence? Wouldn't they dig under? That's pretty neat.

I have a 6 foot chain link fence that goes all the way to the ground. The dirt here is hard clay, and they never attempted to dig out.

Basil actually DID get out once. There was a board covering a gap that was just slightly too big (and Basil was a baby). My roommate's boyfriend moved the board. I went out with the dogs in the morning, and Basil was gone. I took the dogs in, threw on my shoes and was going to go look for him and he hopped back in through the fence. He got to go back in the x-pen until that gap got a permanent cover.

Back