New Cage!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedtheflame

Reaction score
Just bought a 30 inch dog playpen yesterday and got my little guy's setup all done! soo stoked about it, i love the way it looks. only problem is the bars are too far apart cus he's so little right now. i caught him squeezing his head through but managed to stop him from squeezing out. So now i cant let him out in it unless in home and watching him
IMG_13941.jpg

how long do you think it'll be before he grows big enough? :?

If he's a dwarf rabbit, he'd get only to 2-3 lbs. The smaller breeds reach maturity much sooner than the giant breeds do. I think it'd be more likely that his head would get stuck, not that he could escape. [Or was he far enough out when you caught him?] And he probably couldn't chew the cardboard quite enough to get stuck if it's placed on the outside of the pen. A more permanent solution would be to get a sheet of wire window screening, cut it to size & weave it in & out every few bars. Maybe fiberglass window screening would work instead.

i dont think its likely that he's a dwarf. He's a feral bunny i caught in my area. The rabbits around here are pets that got dumped. So im guessing he'll be an average size? How fast do rabbit usually grow at this age? (like, will he double in size in just a few weeks?)

im pretty sure he can squeeze out, he got his head pretty far out without having to try too hard. And ur saying rather than weave the cardboard through the bars, i should like, tape it on the outside? im guessing just the lower part is good enough..(the very bottom part, under the last horizontal bar)

He'll grow super-fast. Q was about that size when I got her at 4 weeks. Within a week or two, I could see a huge difference. Within a month, she'd tripled in size. She reached nearly full size after about three months, although she didn't stop actually growing until 5 or so months. She's only about 3.5 lbs now, so he'll probably grow fast. I like the idea of cardboard.

Hard to tell on the size, but I would say look at the other feral bunnies in the area and add a small bit to that. I say this because she is a feral bun from that area, but I would expect good food and health will add a bit of size.

Very cute bun.

took him to the vet for a check up the other day. Vet estimates it's about a month old, that its actually probably a female (did some more research and im like "ohhh...girls stick out too...LOL!! XP )and so yea, she should grow to be a good size, she's not a dwarf

and i put the cardboard on the bottom section of the pen, bunny now has free reign of pen all day, and she loves it!

So glad to hear she's doing well. And got a clean bill of health from the Vet.

Nice set up. Had to laugh when you stated she just would walk through your x-pen. The first time we put Dobby and Kreacher in ours, we were so excited that they had a place to go outside their crate, Kreacher looked up at me, and immediately walked through the bars. Glad the cardboard is working out for you. And she's enjoying all her space.

K:)

wait is your bunny from the wild? whats the story on that? if not, what kind is he/she? :D

Glad you got it sorted and your little girl is doing well. It reminds me of this one foster baby I had that was ALWAYS escaping the NIC cage. It took me a bit to understand that he simply fit through the little squares and wasn't actually climbing or jumping from the top of a box... He was such a riot and oh so proud of being able to escape. Luckily, Houdina (my cat) would follow him and cry to let me know he was out. I ended up sealing that off and then he did figure out how to climb! :headsmackI heard he was always keeping his new family on their toes as well. :p

LakeCondo wrote:
patches2593 wrote:
wait is your bunny from the wild? whats the story on that? if not, what kind is he/she? :D

offspring of dumped former pets, or descendents of pets

yep, my little girl is a feral bunny i caught two weeks ago. She's getting bigger so fast! i swear just a day or two ago she was smaller! she used to be mostly fluff and now she's all tummy and muscle, not as skinny as before. i think i can almost take that cardboard off already (but ill wait a while to be 100% sure)

Latest posts

Back