New Cage setup

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
So, I have an ND named Ruby who is perfectly litter trained, so I want to give her free run of the room she's in. I am also going to reconstruct her NIC cage. I have some questions though:

What things should I do to bunny proof the room?

Should I just leave the cage open all day and night, or should I put her back in the cage every night and only let her out during the day?

Will rebuilding the cage and giving free run of the room affect her perfect litter habits? This is really important!

How should I set up litter boxes? Just in her cage? Around the room?

Also, if anyone has any nice NIC pictures I'd love to see them to get some more ideas on how to build it. I'm not really focused on building a big one, since she'll get enough exercise anyway. I also want to build one with levels, whereas the NIC she's in now only has one other level.

And one more question: what on earth do I use to cut the zipties of her current cage?? They're so tight!

I've never had a rabbit have free run unsupervised before; sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!!

to cut zip ties, we use diagonal cutters or diagonal pliers. They are known by either name, not sure why men can't just use one name for a tool. :) Do a search for them if you need to to see what I am talking about, you find them almost anywhere. We use and cut zip ties all of the time and they work well on zip ties that are on tight.
Thumper has had full run of a room since we brought him home. His cage is left open. He only has a litter box in the cage and has never needed one outside his cage. To be on the safe side you could put one outside the cage and later remove it if your bun doesn't use it or if it's not necessary. He has always been put in his cage at night simply because his room is outside our bedroom and him binkying and playing would keep us up since we are light sleepers.
We have baby gates up in the doorways. Once will I was not home Thumper escaped. One gate was knocked down, not sure if it was Thumper or my dog so until I get gates that can't be knocked over, Thumper also gets put in his cage when I am not home. Something to keep in mind whether you are either gone or asleep. You do need to bunny proof any wires in the room. Also, protect anything that your bun may be interested in chewing that either is unsafe for your bun to chew or you do not want chewed. That all depends on what kind of chewer your bun is.

Is your bun spayed? Giving her free run could potentially affect her litter habits. She could start marking the territory if it is new to her. If she already plays in the area supervised and does not have potty issues then I would think she would continue that unsupervised. But no guarantees either way.

She isn't spayed, and I love the fact that she has perfect litter habits, so I wouldn't want to ruin it!
Thanks for the zipties cutting info. They are a nightmare trying to cut! :)

Ruby's not MUCH of a chewer I guess, but I'll make sure I get everything out of her way. I was thinking, since I'm at school all day, should I just let her out in the morning, and then put her away when I go to school, and then take her back out in the afternoon and put her back in the cage at night. Or should I let her have free run when I'm at school? She won't be out at night; she'll be in her cage then.
Thanks for the reply!!

Zip ties are not the easiest to cut but those should help. I'm not very big and have small hands. I'm no where near as strong as my husband but like I said we use and cut zip ties all of the time and that's what we both use.

Whether you leave her out or not is up to you and how well you know your bun. I would not leave her loose if I were you if there was any chance of her either getting loose or getting harmed in any way. It sounds like she should get plenty of time outside her cage if you only put her in it when you are not home and when you are asleep. I know Thumper spends most of the day lazing around and is only really active in the morning and evening. Good luck!

What is the room she's in used for? My rabbits live in my bedroom with me. They have a dog crate where they stay when I'm asleep or not at home and otherwise they have free run of my room. All of my cords are covered and/or out of their reach. They can't get under my bed and I pick anything I don't want them to have access to up off the floor. They're also both spayed and neutered. They leave me some poops in various locations but only pee in the litterbox.

The room she's in now was just a spare room that I just took over for a bunny room. There's a computer, bookshelf, and chair in there but nothing else

Latest posts

Back