New cage OR play pen???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarleyLove

Reaction score
My holland lopear used to be tiny but has grown quite a bit. She is an indoor bunny but cannot be let loose in my house, as my dogs are not a fan of her.Her cage used to be big enough for her but now she is becoming a bit crowded. I was pricing cages and found a 41.5" x 19" with a 22" height for $95 which seems like a pretty good deal. But then I also found an offer of a small animal play pen that is 43" in diameter with an opentop height of 29" for $60. I can't decide between the two because I could either go with the new cage and then let her run around my bedroom at times like I usually do or I could get the play pen and have her sleep in her small cage during the night and let her play in the pen during the day.
What do you think? :)

I would go with the one that offers the biggest floor area - which sounds like the playpen. Some of them you can attach on the cage so she could have free access in/out. The only thing is safety with the dogs. If the pen is going to be in a room they are also in, I think I'd want a top on it, particularly if our dogs are on the larger side. Also you'd want to fix it some how so they couldn't push it over or lift it up.

The play pen would be in a seperate room from the dogs. She used to run around in my bedroom but started chewing on cords and I don't want her to get electricuted so I kind of stopped letting her run around as much. I agree that the pen is probably the best choice.
Thank you so much for your advice :)

Those prices seem kind of high.
Look at dog x-pens, they usually have 8 panels that are 2ft wide and come in different heights. Most pet store have them, but also look at places like Walmart or even kijiji for a used one. For the space they can cover, it is usually a better deal than a cage or some other pens.
Another option to consider is an NIC pen. These are made using shelving cube panels and you just zip tie them together. A pack of 13 grids (a 3 cube set) costs about $20 retail, but you can find them used for about $5-10. The pen should be 2 grids high unless you know your rabbit won't jump it. You can make it as big as you want or have space for.

Same, my buns run around one room during the day and go into thier pen at night. And I use a dog xpen, the large one that's 3 ft high. My holland lop could easily clear the 2ft high ones. They can definately be found on any used site so it's worth a look!

I currently have a cage setup connected to a x-pen so they can go in and out as they please. It gives them a little more room. However I am in the process of building a NIC cage that will be 3 X 4 panels and 3 high as i'm going to build a large some shelving to hop up to.

I would have to say the xpen is a better idea. Anything over 60 is too high for an xpen, look on Amazon.com that is where I got mine.
The cage you described is not really that big and that price is way too high, definitely go with then pen :) You can get a small tarp, shower curtain or plastic table cloth for underneath! Best of luck!

I will add my constant recommendation for pegboard. a 4' x8' section costs about $16 and it makes 3 (4'x2'8") sections or 6 (2' x 2'8") sections. Most large stores will cut it for you. Then I use zip-ties to hold it together. A bit on the heavy side in terms of weight, but $45 make an 8'x8' pen. Good for protecting walls and cords.

Latest posts

Back