New cage and new companion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to cut Nepo's nail'sand they had a bunny with two guinea pigs and they were good friends.So I'm thinking of getting a guinea pig companion for Nepo, do theymake good companion's?If I get a girl guinea pig will anythinghappen?and if I get a boy guinea pig will he and Nepo fight(Nepo'sa boy)?

That day I also went to Petsmart and I saw a three storycage it's $120, I have the money and I really want it. On top I'm goingto a bed and a little house for Nepo to hide in. On themiddle I'm going to put toys. And on the bottom I'm going to put thefood and litter box. What do you think?

Hi Nepo, :)

I have no experience and know nothing about this, but I know some ofour members can be very helpful as they've had a lot of experience withboth animals.

I've seen this topic come up here before. You might want to peruse the forum's previous pages.

Hope you're enjoying the forum.

:)

-Carolyn

Common misconseption. Although theysometimes get along, rabbibts and GP's should never be housed togetherpermanently. They don't eat the same food. It wouldbe hard to keep the GP from eating the rabbit food, and viseversa. Also, the rabbit could easily hurt that GP and the GPcould easily hurt the rabbit.

I strongly advise against mixing GP's and rabbits, or any other twospecies for that matter. If you want to get him a companion,get a another rabbit.

JMO

-Madelon

If I get a spayed female and haveNepo get spayed will they have babies? And if I get a male will he andNepo fight or does that depend on the rabbit?

Well, no, if they're spayed..no babies :D

Males/male combinations seldom work, male/female is much better. Check this site out for more information on bonding:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

And babydoshia is right, bunnies and guinea pigs are not good companions at all.

An all too familiar post :D

I asked this same question in one of my earlier posts when I was new tothe sight not that Im old to the sight but you get the picture.

I have a Guinea Pig Lilo she was here first then I brought inStitch. I introduced the two of them very slowly and theydont seem to mind eachother and they both have free range of thehouse. HOWEVER, Stitch is alot more curious then Lilo is andStitch will go as far as hop into Lilo's cage and sniff around I alwayshave to chase her out because I dont want her eating Lilo's food theyneed two different types of Nutrition that they carry in their feed.

They dont fight Lilo goes on her merry little way and Stitch is verycurious of her so she follows Lilo around the house tryin to sniff onher but if she gets too close Lilo runs away usually to me as to tellon her.

My biggest fear is that Stitch always hops around like a mad womanjumping really high and kicking she's rather happy outside her cage Imscared in her little romps she may kick Lilo and that is dangerous forthe Guinea Pig she can seriously hurt her not that Stitch isintentionally trying to hurt her or anything I thinks she wants togroom the Guinea but Lilo wont let her get close enough.

Lilo does grind her teeth loudly at Stitch when she tries to get intoher cage when shes in it but she's never tried to bite she tries toscare her or grind her teeth loud enough for me to hear her.I swear its like two kids in the house and Lilo is always snitching onStitch :p

Marie

Yeah, it's not that rabbits and guinea pigs can'tget along at all, it's that guinea pigs definately need theirown space and a place to get away from the rabbit. They don't need asmuch social interaction as rabbits do, and like Kassandra said, arabbit can inadvertantly yet seriously injure a GP. So they can playtogether, but it needs to be on the guinea's terms and make sure thebunny get's its own toys and plenty of playtime, so they don'toverwhelm their little companions.

I changed my mind about getting a guinea pigcompanion, but I do like the idea that if both bunnies of opposite sex,theywon't have babies.

Latest posts

Back