New bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypusstar

Reaction score
hey guys =D i got a new rabbit today. her name is Babs Bunny (like off space jam lol) shes i think 7 or 8 weeks old, i got her at a sale barn type deal. not too sure what breed she is i think she might be a mini rex or a cross between that and something else. maybe ya'll can help me? she looks like she might be a blue tort, broken pattern. she has velvet soft fur. shes a real cuddle bunny, and Ceaser loves her already! he played with her for 2 or 3 hours chasing her around, laying with her, cleaning her ears and even scent marking her. im hoping to breed them when shes older =)

heres her pictures. hope ya'll like them! sorry they're from my phone. so it might look a little weird.

2ptnntc.jpg

2wlsj0p.jpg

25zmmnk.jpg

dwqm40.jpg

24cruvm.jpg

She's very cute! Congratulations.

If you're not even sure what her breed is, why are you interested in breeding your buns? If you spay and neuter them, you could bond them and watch them groom and play all the time. :)

She is very cute! She is probably a Mini Rex mix.
Do not keep her in with your male unsupervised. She is young but if your male were to successfully breed her, she could still get pregnant.
She will be ready to breed at about 6 months.

Emily

well ceaser has an amazing personality and this bun seems to have one as well, and they would be mixed babies anyways seeing as ceaser is a lion head. ive had several people already saying (before i got the doe) that they would take a ceaser baby in a heart beat. plus i like the whole watching babies grow .___. lol...i really do think shes a mini rex though by the way her coat feels and her body type.her head looks like it too. but thanks =D
lol when she gets older i'll put a diaper on her so she can still play with ceaser XD

She is adorable, congrats! :)

She doesn't look to be a Mini Rex to me though, perhaps a mix? I'm sure some experienced breeders of Mini Rex will be chiming to confirm or not. Rabbit's are the third most euthanized pet in the United States, there are thousands of mixed breed bunnies waiting for homes. Just wanted to point that out. Breeding to improve the breed type is a wonderful thing, but I really hope you will reconsider breeding a mixed breed doe with unknown pedigree/genetics.

before i got her i was thinking about breeding ceaser to a angora to make a fluffier mane. i atleast want one litter from them. im not saying im going to produce 5 or 7 litters of mix breed rabbits lol. i still plan on getting ceaser with another lion head or angora.

A Lionhead and Mini Rex would make a great cross for a pet. The kits would be small and if the parents have good temperaments, so would they.
There are people trying to breed for rabbits with rex coats and with manes like the Lionheads. They are called Velvet Lions.

Emily

so is that like a second lion head type? maybe someone should try to make that. (i know it takes forever and lion heads arnt even reconized yet). but it kinda reminds me of how lops are, how theres so many different types. maybe i should shoot for velvet lions =P

i secong the not full mini rex. Her coat looks wrong. You should read Tinymoms post about breeding before you decide to do it. It has a lot of information that will help. Maybe someone can find the post and put the link on here for you

She is gorgeous!

Very cute but not a full mini rex. A mini rex coat is very short and dense. I also wouldn't advise letting her interact with a mature buck. A pregnancy at this agecould be devastating to her health. Just remember that mixed buns are harder to rehome.

All in all an adorable bunny :inlove:and I wish you the best of luck :biggrin2:

i'll second that not full mini rex, the whiskers are long and striaght. a mini rex's whiskers are curly and short, next ot non-existant.

P4110029.jpg

There's a picture of my doe, you can barely tell she's even got whiskers. Your little girl looks mini satin/mini rex cross possibly.

Please please please don't breed them! When people do that, with pet, unpedigreed rabbits, you bring a whole litter of rabbits into the world and into the homes of people who could have adopted rabbits.

Not only that, but you give responsible breeders a bad name, and become a classic backyard breeder.

She's very cute, but it honestly hope you get her spayed.

=/ wow that seems like a pretty hard hit.
im responsible, just cuz i said i was thinking about breeding them doesnt automaticlly make me a backyard breeder. i was just thinking about it because of they're temperments. and if i was going to breed them it would only be one litter, i have several people wanting one from them and its enough to cover one litter.

i think she might be newzealand/mini rex. ive been looking more at them and then her and the guy i got her from said the other ones in with her were newzealands.

Congratulations on your new rabbit. I hope you enjoy her.

Unfortunately I will say that I agree with the poster about not breeding her. I understand the need/desire to have babies - but so many times people will say they want a rabbit and then when you breed and have them...they've changed their mind...they have to think about it...they've decided they want a different type rabbit, etc.

As a breeder myself, I generally hear breeders discuss "backyard breeder" as someone who is not breeding to a standard or trying to better the breed - but is someone just out to create babies without any thought of what is best for the breed.

But she is your rabbit and I recognize that it is your decision to do what you want.

Personally I would not have any problem breeding them, especially if you are thinking about the Velvet Lions. I think that the Velvet Lions would be fun to work with. Even if you are breeding just to get a litter out of them the kits would probably be easy to find homes for. They would be small, would have good temperaments like their sire and dam and you would probably get a whole aray of colors. Plus there is a good chance that the kits would all be brokens. Broken colored rabbits and lops are the easyest to sell, even if they are mixes.

Emily

Silver Star Rabbitry
Raising and Showing Quality Silver Marten Rabbits in North Louisiana.

http://silverstarsilvermartens.webs.com/
http://silverstarrabbitry.blogspot.com/

[email protected]

There is also a good chance the kits would be charlies since both rabbits are broken.

Silver Star Rabbitry wrote:
Lionheads have been recognized by the ARBA.
This is the website of someone that raises the Velvet Lions.
http://lilysrabbitholewarren.webs.com/ourvelvetlions.htm
They look like they would be a very interesting breed to raise.

Emily
Lions are not recognized by the ARBA. Unfortunately, they have a long way to go, as they are back to square 1, working on a first showing.

It is my understanding that the majority of temperament comes from how well the rabbit is handled from day 1, not genetics. I may be wrong, of course, but I was always told that unlike dogs, rabbit breeds do not typically have personality characteristics associated strongly with them.

In any case, I'd like to direct you to this thread containing a lot of information:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=20295&forum_id=12

Latest posts

Back