New bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikki8jean

Reaction score
Hello :) I got a new Holland Lop and I pick him up on Sunday. What do I need...besides a cage...to bring the bunny home? The breeder is providing me with some food and hay to start. What else?
downsized_0825091035.jpg

You need something like a carry case to bring the bunny home in.

Cage wise, if you have a wire cage then you will need some area in it that is solid so he can get off the wire. If its a flat bottomed, solid cage then thats not an issue.

Food bowl, water bottle/bowl (whatever the bun is used to).

You will need your own supplies of hay and the same food the breeder feeds.

You may want to get a litter tray, and some litter.

You will need some sort of stimulation (such as toys).

You will need things to clean the cage too.

Depending on your cage you will need to buy something that the bunny can hide in.

Is the bun going to be an outside bun or an inside bun?

By the way, he is VERY cute :D

Thank you! He is going to be an inside bunny :) The list you made is good :) I made...well almost done...a cage from NIC ...but I can't find the chloraplast...any idea where I can get it...Lowes did not have it

You can get coroplast at a sign place. Go to the yellow page and start calling the places under "signs". I just got some a month ago :)

Hi :wave:I'm from Ohio too. Your bunny is a cutie!

Thanks :) Yes he is a baby :) I was so excited I forgot to ask how old he was...but he was about the size of a small coffee can..if that helps lol

Try some other hardware stores for Chloroplast. I usually find it near the back and things like wood. It can be hard to spot as some stores have it in the shelf so you can't see it very well. Asking an employee can help. Some restaurants and stores use it for advertising. If you find one, ask if you can have a sign or 2.

Don't forget a blanket or something soft to lie on. Even is he does become litter trained, a blanket is a good idea.
A hay rack helps keep the hay contained. Some people bend an NIC grid and use it.

If you don't have time to get a carrier before you pick him up, you can build a cube using the NIC grids. 1*1*1 will work. Put something solid on the bottom and a blanket top if that. Garage sales and classifieds can be a good place to get a cheap carrier.

The reason I asked about age (although size was actually a better answer than age) was because if he is tiny he may be able to put his head, or even whole body through the NIC grid holes, so you may need to look at making them smaller temporarily (maybe some mesh/chicken wire, or some fabric, or overlapping grids, or just being creative in a safe way).

Don't forget to post pictures of your construction :D

Thank you for the reminder...I have been trying to find something for him smaller than the NIC cage until he is bigger..I saw someones post about head fitting through the bigger slots. I have a ton of long boxes from moving my classroom, would a box work to bring him home in? It is only a ten minute drive.

A bx to bring him home in should be fine, but eventually you'll need something more hard waring to take him places in (such as the vet).

If you use newspaper on the bottom, and the maybe some fleece and some hay, or just lots of hay to snuggle in. Don't forget to always make sure the top is secure, and also put some airholes in it.

I guess I could use my travel carrier hahaha...I didn't even think about it. I have 2 parrots and I use a regular cat carrier for their trips to the vet. I'll just wash that out and bring him home in that!

Latest posts

Back