New Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenniferCameron

Reaction score
Well we went out yesterday and bought a holland lop baby. I have a birth certificate that says she is six weeks and a few days old, but she's so tini. I think she may be a runt. Her ears are kinda fallen but the come up or just one falls sometimes, they're thicker ears than my ND. He loves that there is a new bunny and is being hyper about it, they have sniffed each other and they met once but he tried to hump her to i seperated them (I just want to be extra careful because she's so small). I have the parents info too. Her mommy is a holland lop tort colour and so is her dad. Their names are Alissa and Tort. We have decided to name her Charlie. So now we have Charlie and Winston, they're being housed seperately right now of course. She's a fluffy little beauty, my boyfriend picked her out. I was upset that they didn't have any netherland dwarf females (they had some amazing orange males though but alas two boys does not make a good fit).She is a beautiful little girl and I like that she will eventually be bigger than Winston.She's also binking up a storm already which I take to be a good sign and she's eating and drinking well although she's not eating as much alfalfa as I would like (she is smaller though so maybe she doesn't need nearly as much as Winston gets).

I'm not sure how long I should wait untill i introduce them again in person, because she's so small I don't want to risk her being hurt. He tried to hump her but i heard that it is only to show dominance over her. They're not old enough to get pregnant yet so the main worry is her being strong enough to handle it. I pulled him off right away when he humped her and she's seems to be fine and she didn't seem to mind being humped lol.

Anyways here are some pics of her that we took. Charlie is a doll (we still might change the name but I doubt it)

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

Edited to ask- Why can't I find a bunny that is older than 6 weeks old at a pet store. I can't find any breeders in my area and all the pets stores sell them at 4-6 weeks. Winston was four and Charlie is supposed to be 6 weeks although I'm still not convinced. If it's really not good for them to be seperated so early then why do they do it and how is it legal. I think there should be a law about it here in Ontario. Hmmm...

Awww, what a cute little bunny! :hearts

JenniferCameron wrote:
Edited to ask- Why can't I find a bunny that is older than 6 weeks old at a pet store. I can't find any breeders in my area and all the pets stores sell them at 4-6 weeks. Winston was four and Charlie is supposed to be 6 weeks although I'm still not convinced. If it's really not good for them to be seperated so early then why do they do it and how is it legal. I think there should be a law about it here in Ontario. Hmmm...
That age thing is strange. There are laws here about how young you can sell bunnies, I'm not sure if those laws apply to the whole U.S. or just Virginia. According to breeders websites that I have visited, they aren't allowed to sell bunnies any younger than 7 or 8 weeks (I can't remember which one it is because I know that one breeder lets her's go at 7 weeks, but I could have sworn the law was 8 weeks). They often have bunnies available older than 8 weeks though...when we got Billy he was 12 weeks old which I think is better because at that age they're already out of the rough in terms of possible digestive problems.

I did stop by a few pet stores around Easter and saw such tiny bunnies that looked like they were younger than 8 weeks. Maybe it's a law that nobody cares to enforce :?

i was at a pet store too, and i saw buns that were only 4 weeks old. i felt sad for them. i kinda wanted to ya know, be like "why are you selling buns so young..bla bla bla." to someone who worked there. but i was standing by their cage for a half hour and no one came over. they were so scared. if i tried to pet one it would run for its life.

I've been looking on the department of justice website and so far this is all I've found. http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/result

I'm sure I must be missing something. I think it's illigal to sell them under 4 weeks of age here, because that is the age they all get to the pet stores.

I was thinking she was younger than 6 and a half weeks but after seeing pictures of other holland lops she looks about the same.

I really wanted to get a full grown bun from the humane society but I was shot down. I love babies too but I love LOVE old old animals. They're so sweet and they really need to be taken care of, they make my heart melt because there are few out there who want them.

When I live on my own the first thing I'm going to do is start fostering animals, I've wanted to do that since I was little.

I'm going to keep letting them sniff each other and maybe have them meet again in a few days.

JenniferCameron wrote:
Edited to ask- Why can't I find a bunny that is older than 6 weeks old at a pet store.

Pet shops here will not take babies under 6 weeks,unless the breeder has lied to them of course and they will not take them over 7 weeks old the reason is because babies sell...they're small and cute...it's what attracts people and young children to them,people love baby bunnies..so this is thereason why they sell them at a young age....a pet shop will be able to sell a baby bunny faster than they could an older bunny,because people just don't know anything...that's a pet shop for ya....most of them don't care...they just want to make a sale.

Pet shops suck...they really really do!!

Your new little baby is just adorable :D

Cheryl

Jamie was 12 weeks when we got him(he was mis-sexed though, so watch out for the gender fairy......................)

Charlie is adorable! i love her! and if you want to know what she'll look like when she grows up, she looks just like XxMontanaxX's Macy(Montana, do you spell her name M-a-c-y or M-a-c-e-y? i never can remember!)!

yup, i love my smileys!

It's M A C E Y. :)

Your new baby is totally adorable! Awww, I just want to hug little Charlie...

I don't think you should be introducing them so soon, just in case Charlie may have a hidden illness that can be contagious, you know what I mean? Expecially from a pet store...

Yeah I had a lapse in judgement when I let them meet. I won't be doing it again anytime soon. i know that she's almost 6 weeks because I have a birth certificate from the breeder. The pet store I bought her from deals with one breeder exclusively to insure quality they said so I'm pretty sure it's her age. I"m almost 100 percent that she's a female. I took her out twice today and she came up an just started licking my nose, she's not scared at all, when I bring in food she comes over and licks my hand as if to say "thanks for refilling my food" and then digs in. They didn't have any bunnies younger than 5 weeks and that is better than most places I suppose.

Thank you for saying she's cute, I agree.

Macey is adorable by the way it's nice to know what I"m in for!

AWW! She looks just like my Brody when he was 7 weeks old, when we first brought him home. Brody was a tad bit bigger, though, and his ears were fully lopped.

How adorable :biggrin2:!

Latest posts

Back