New bunny...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mom surprised me last night with a cute little boy bunny sitting in my old bunny's cage.

A gal that works at our local feed store had rescued a female bunnythat she did not know was pregnant... she was giving away three babybunnies. My mom forgot to ask how old he is but she thinks somewherefrom 6 to 8 weeks old. He was born with a bad eye; there is a whitespot in the middle and it is kind of runny. So, he may be blind orpartially blind. He is very friendly... I am holding him in my freehand right now and he seems content. He loves exploring my room anddoing lots of little binkies, but I need to bunny-proof my room somemore.

When would it be best to get him fixed?

What would be the best discipline for nibbling? Or is a little bit ofnibbling okay? Sometimes he starts nibbling on clothes a little, I justpull the clothing away from him and tell him no. He also kind ofnibbles and licks my fingers... they are very gentle nibbles, but Istill pull my fingers away and tell him no. Then he licks them, kind oflike he is apologizing.

I will try to think of more questions to ask... I think I forgot some of them.

Suggestions would be great.

DSC_005s2.jpg

DSC_004s9.jpg

(this is his bad eye)
He is very cute :)

All rabbits will nibble on things but it is bestto not let him do it. He's a baby and is bound to do it anyways so bepatient with him.

As for neutering, it depends on the vet, some will do it at 12 weeksand others at 6 months. I'd suggest start looking for a vet now andasking around when they feel comfortable to do it. I know the firstappointment I could get for Zoey's spay was a month after I called soit doesn't hurt to at least try to find a rabbit savvy vet.

Oh and one other thing, don't pull your finger away if he nibbles you,I made the same mistake with my boys and I inadvertantly taught themthat if I got bit, that I would back off and pull my hand away so in away it was teaching them a bad thing. You can say no and push his headto the ground but sometimes that works against you too. Eventually myboys thought I was rewarding them for biting me.

I think babies go through a sort of teethingstage. When my girl Pebbles was around that age, she would nibble onme, especially my fingernails. Pebbles grew out of it, and only nipsnow when she gets feisty :). It wouldn't hurt to give him maybe somethings to chew on - apple tree branches, rabbit safe wood, ect.

His pattern is identical to my girl, Poppy. Except Poppy is gray instead of brown/orange :). What a cutie!

cute bunny!
with his eye, domino has the same thing,and the same symtoms,and it could be the start of glucoma and some stage of cataracts.
:)take a look at dominos right eye looks the same right and it does tear and leak sometimes.
100_9851_edited.jpg

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

His eye has been like it is since birth, but my mom has done a lot ofanimal care so I think we're probably okay dealing with it on our own.We have some terramycin which we put in his eye, and we are also wipingit occasionally with a soft damp rag.

Thanks MyBabyBunnies for the tip on not pulling hands away.

ani-lover... is domino blind in his eye?

Yeah your bunny does appear to be blind in that eye..poor little thing!

my Lulu is blind in both eyes

He does sound very adorable though,he's also very cute!! :)

cheryl

yeah domino is actually blind in both eyes butwe think he can see shadows and outlines of things because he getsaround very good.

Latest posts

Back