New bunny was becoming very friendly, suddenly skittish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim1218

Reaction score
I got a new bunny about 10 days ago. The pet store wasn't sure of breed, but said it was about 6 months old. They said it was a female,but I haven't had her spayed yet. She was becoming very friendly and active in her new home. I feed her timothy hay and pellets, and a small handful of parsley & a couple baby carrots for a treat every day so far. I let her out 2-3 times a day for playtime. She is eating and drinking just fine, and uses her litter box 90% of the time - everything seems normal with her potty habits. I said my usual good morning to her this morning and pet her when I fed her, and she was fine. Now I just opened her hutch so she could come out to play and her entire temperment seems to have changed. She bursted from the cage and ran around the room like she was being chased. She ran away and hid from me when I approached her. Her hutch is two levels and I was afraid she'd hurt herself running up & down like she was, so I put her away. She's hiding under the ramp to her upper level and shies away from my hand now. I have no idea what's wrong,oe why her behavior changed so suddenly. Any ideas? Please help.

Hormones. She's entering the "Bunny from h*ll" phase. ;) The equivalent of the terrible teens. And it will probably get worse before it gets better, LOL! (That's why so many bunnies are abandoned at that age).

She'll probably lose her litter habits and become quite incorrigible for a couple of months.

But she will grow out of it.

Sooner than later if she's spayed, although it will still take a few weeks.

sas :goodluck

Kim1218 wrote:
She bursted from the cage and ran around the room like she was being chased.  She ran away and hid from me when I approached her.

PS: This is also 'play', doing the 'bunny 500' and racing around like a maniac. She's happy! But the real manic part is hormones. She may start building nests, too, then she'll REALLY get 'out there' -- a wild-eyed rabbit frantically carrying around bits of hay and hair. Be prepared for that one!

I really hope it's just hormones. We had a male bunny previously who was already neutered when we got him, so I have never experienced a hormonal bunny. I'm used to her running around like crazy, but I got worried because she's never acted so terrified before. Thanks so much for your help. I do feel a lot better now!

Sound like my girl she make 7 months old in three days we just got her to.

Everyone has told me 6 to 9 months is the worst for hormones.

My girl goes in to be spayed in two weeks I can't wait for that day.

:) She's out playing like normal now. She jumped up in my lap for attention and everything. I'm going to call the vet now to make an appointment to have her spayed.

You may want to check with the nearby shelter--I know ours here in Dane County offers spay/neuters for rabbits for only $100. That's about half, or a third of what you can expect to pay at a vet, and it's done by the shelter vets who do TONS of these surgeries.

Latest posts

Back