New bunny trouble!! Several questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilyasb

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, where do I start...

Well, I drove 2 hours to go pick up my new lionheads, who are now named Clover and Ebony.

Well, they are about 2-3 months old, and are in a big spacious house outside. They're not very socialized, but are getting better.

I decided to let the new bunnies settle into thier new home for a day and then try to introduce Mimah to them.

I though it would go so so well, but man, was I wrong! I put Mimah into the cage and fights started errupting. Mimah ran over to little Clover and bit her somewhere(couldn't really tell where) and Clover started letting out these terrible screams. So I instantly seperated them. Then, I put her back in and she started fighting with Ebony...and Ebony tried to mount her! I contacted the breeder that I got her from and she said that more than likely she was just dominating, but that she could also have a split penis, but went on to say that this was extremely rare.

What's wierd is that she wasn't mounting at all until I put Mimah into the cage, and she tried to mount her instantly. And when I took Mimah out, she started to do it to Clover. It's like something was triggered.

And Ideas? Help please! I also need some tips to get them associated, because Mimah is growing fast and needs to be put into a bigger cage, and the one outside is the only other one I have!

Thanks to everyone who replies!

I would suggest keeping Mimah away from them until all are spayed (you may also need to separate Clover and Ebony when the hormones start to kick in). I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the sensible thing to do. Whenever you get more buns, especially babies, you need to be prepared, and have the space, to house them all separately if necessary.

When you bond it needs to be done on completely neutral territory. This may have been your error. Bunnies don't tend to forget easily, so that is another reason why it is worthwhile keeping them away from each other until all are spayed.

The mounting could be hormones, or dominance, maybe aggression, it could be many things. If there is a doubt on the gender it is worth separating them all just to avoid any accidental litters.

Thank you! I'm going to look into getting Mimah spayed.

I just have to call around first!

I have absolutley NO idea how old she is. But I know she's not older than 6 months.

But that was my second question: How old should they be? And is there a huge risk involved with spaying? Because bunnies have a lot of respitory problems.

But the good thing is that I can get it done for $73. Everywhere else ranged from $130-$285. And this is a very experienced vet too! The other places weren't.

Mounting is normal dominance behavior, but hormones can change bunnies' relationships so much that it really doesn't make sense to try to bond bunnies before they're fixed. The only exception is that littermates can usually stay together (if they're the same gender).

tonyshuman wrote:
The only exception is that littermates can usually stay together (if they're the same gender).

Yeah, that's how Ebony and Clover can get a long so well. And they're both female.

But I'll be going to get Mimah spayed ASAP. But how old does she have to be?

emilyasb wrote:
But that was my second question: How old should they be? And is there a huge risk involved with spaying? Because bunnies have a lot of respitory problems.

I think 6 months is a good age to be spayed. There is always a risk in spaying and neutering. But have to say I have had loads of Buns Spayed/Nurtured and they all came thru alive!

Well, I think I'll wait 3 more months to get Mimah spayed.

I just want to make sure she's old enough since I don't really have a clue to how old she is.

I just want to say that littermates don't always stay together and they can rip chunks out of each other the same way that unrelated rabbits can. Equally, unrelated rabbits can make it through adolescence together together. IT really just depends on the rabbits, so be prepared to face that with Ebony and Clover too (although hopefully it won't be an issue).

It's sensible to wait until you know for sure. With a rabbit savvy vet spays carry minimal risks, just the regular risks that any general anaesthetic carries for anyone, human or animals.

After the rabbits are spayed you need to do more reading on bonding

Bonding rabbits is not easy and requires knowledge and forethought

Also please check the rabbits to see if you can find where the bites occured. . it is easy for rabits to get infections and abscesses from undetected bonding bites. Go over the rabbits carefully feeling for scabs or looking for redness. You can clean the area with a little diluted betadine on a cottonball.

Please don't just put them all together again .

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

angieluv wrote:
After the rabbits are spayed you need to do more reading on bonding

Bonding rabbits is not easy and requires knowledge and forethought

Also please check the rabbits to see if you can find where the bites occured. . it is easy for rabits to get infections and abscesses from undetected bonding bites. Go over the rabbits carefully feeling for scabs or looking for redness. You can clean the area with a little diluted betadine on a cottonball.

Please don't just put them all together again .

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17
you can say that again

I instantly checked the buns over after this whole thing happened.

But, last night, I got up to go to the restroom and my nephew let my bunnies out of thier cages. I couldn't find them anywhere and I was freaked.

Well, I ended up finding all three under my bed, snuggled up together. I looked over them tofind any fight wounds and I found none. They all seemed to like each other, but I seperated thembecause I'm still cautious.

I'm now thinking it's a boundary issue. Because I putMimah into the others cage and they fought. So I think they saw her as an intruder.

This incident will NOT happen again. I just thought my nephew was more mature then to letthem out(he's 7!). But I was wrong.

Thanks for all the advice!

maybe because they were scared by say a noise or something, they huddled together, even if tyhey hated each other.
but i think it might just be the neutral ground. i hope so anyawy.

Back