New Bunny - Stressed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anisthelop

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a new Holland Lop last night and she hasn't eaten nor drank water since I brought her home. She is 8 weeks old and I know that she was probably weaned pretty young. The breeder didn't give me any of her hay or pellets which I should have asked for but completely forgot to. I have tried to Timothy Hay, Orchard Hay, and Alfalfa Hay and nothing. I even tried to give her water with pet syringe and nothing.

Please advise on what to do. I'm worried about her and don't know what to do.

Thanks!

Hello,

I got a new Holland Lop last night and she hasn't eaten nor drank water since I brought her home. She is 8 weeks old and I know that she was probably weaned pretty young. The breeder didn't give me any of her hay or pellets which I should have asked for but completely forgot to. I have tried to Timothy Hay, Orchard Hay, and Alfalfa Hay and nothing. I even tried to give her water with pet syringe and nothing.

Please advise on what to do. I'm worried about her and don't know what to do.

Thanks!
It's her first time home with you, yes? If so, then she needs to just get used to her new environment. She's scared. Leave her be. If you prefer to be near her, just sit and hang out near her. Watch a movie and let her explore you and check you out. In time, she will get more comfortable with you.

Also, I do recommend that you go buy her alfalfa pellets since she's still young and needs it for nutrients.

Okay, I'll just let her be - but for how long? I don't want her to starve nor be dehydrated. I have some alfalfa pellets for her too that I keep close to her. I was worried because my other Holland Lop was completely different when I brought her home!

Let her settle down and don’t run around a lot. I know when I got my bunny Odin, he only ate at night becuse he was too scared during the day. It took over 10 hours for my boy to start eating.

The next day I could see his small droppings and it was showing early stage of his gut slowing down but he later picked up eating. If your bunny still haven’t eaten the next day, take her to the vet. If you can see droppings it mean she have eaten and just let her have timothy hay and no pellets.

I would put her in a quite room away from everyone, partially cover the cage with a light sheet leaving the front uncovered, and put a measured amount of the alfalfa pellets so that you can see if they are actually getting eaten. If you don't know if the bun is used to a water dish or bottle, I would offer both and mark the water level so you know if the bunny is drinking. Then leave the bun alone. I would check on the bun minimally(peek in) tonight before bed to see if any food or water has been consumed. If the bunny hasn't eaten, drank, pooped, or peed by morning I would get it to your vet. You are likely going to have to start syringe feeds so the bun doesn't get full blown GI stasis.

Having another rabbit nearby can sometimes help if they aren't aggressive(if you have another rabbit), but it can also sometimes just make them more nervous. Hard to know, but I have put a new rabbits pen near my other rabbit and it's helped them feel more comfortable settling in.

Back