New bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmichaels99

Reaction score
Hi there. Recently we adopted a 10 week old chin/mini lop cross. He is super sweet and we are having a lot of fun. My question is..when should I introduce herbs/vegetables to his diet.? He is 13 weeks old now and is eating pellets and hay. I have given him tiny pieces of apple a couple time, but haven't given him anything else. I have read so many different things I just don't know where to start. Thanks

I have a holland lop who I got at 8 weeks, and when he was about 12 weeks, I started giving him pieces of greens about the size of a quarter. I did that size for about three days (once a day) and started gradually increasing on the size as well as type of veggie. He's eating about 1cup of veggies a day now :)
Also--you may not want to start by giving your bun sugary stuff first (carrots, apples, grapes, strawberries, bananas, ect.) it'll be easier on it's digestive system if you start off with mostly water based greens.
Hope that helped! Good luck!

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on greens. Some say don't give them until at least six months of age, some say 3 months and some let them nibble as soon as they start weaning.

I think you would be fine to introduce now, but it's a matter of not overdoing it. You need to start with only one type of green such as romaine lettuce or coriander and just give a tiny piece, the size of a quarter or a fingernail once a day. If you notice any side-affects such as squishy poo, or lack of pooping or eating or gas, then you need to not give any more. However, if it goes down well, then you can give the same sized piece once a day for maybe 3-5 days before slightly increasing the amount. Then give the increased amount for multiple days (as long as there's no side effects). After two weeks, you can introduce the next leafy green (starting with a tiny amount).

If you do get an ill-effect from one of the greens, wait at least 3-4 days before either trying again with a smaller amount, or before trying a different one.

Back