new bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceeteh07

Reaction score
hello... first of all, Happy New Year to you and your bunnies :D

Well... anyway, I just got my new bunny... she's a gift from myboyfriend just last week. I had been lurking around in this forum toget information about caring for them. Yeah, she's pampered..

Her name is Taker (The Undertaker)...

I just want to ask these few questions which I couldn't find anywhere...

. Can I give Taker yogurt?
. Her usual diet consists of vegetables, fruits as treats and alfalfapellets... I am still looking for hay (I'll buy tomorrow if there isavailable) to purchase but I don't see any green colored hay.. they'relike yellowish. Yeah, it was packed and there were pictures of rabbitsand guinea pigs.. but I looked for anything which says something aboutwhat type is it, it's in a foreign language.. Will it be good if I buyit for Taker? What is she didn't eat it? What can I do?

congrats on your new bun:)
you probably could give her yogurt but only small portions
i wouldnt buy an unknown brand and the yellowish part sounds like it is moldy
you could look for brands like oxbow and kaytee,but sometimesbuying packaged hay isn't always safe because it gets moldy. but forthe most part its okay.:bunnydance:

Hi there and Welcome to RO!:hello Do you have any pictures of Taker, I'd love to see what she looks like:D

I would definitely not give her yogurt, bunnies and dairy productsaren't good! If you want to give her a treat then stick small portionsof fruit, my girls really love apple and grapes!:bunnydance:

Not too sure about the hay, I'm not familiar with US brands, I knowthat a lot of people get bales of hay from farmer, it tends to bebetter quality and works out cheaper usually. I'm currently trying toarrange this for myself. But bunnies need unlimited hay in their diets:)

Hopefully I'll see you around on the forum

Where do you live?

I can't find hay on that link, but I sort of did on this one.

http://www.versele-laga.com/Nutri/Nutrition/Pages/Products/index.jsp?fam=224&ani=5335&ran=7202&pro=5907#Indicatieve%20waarborgen

I have no idea what it is, but it will probably do in apinch. You may have to order hay online. Even in aforeignlanguage, look for a high fiber count (over 20% isgood) for both hay and pellets.

How old is your bunny? She can have a high protein (16% or higher) if she's a baby.

You alsoshould have low fat andno sugar.

However, the most important thing at this stage isif you can,find outwhat she was eating before and try andgetthe same thing, and introduce her to new food very slowly.

The hay most importantly needs air and it needs to be dry, it can'tmold, so you can't keep it where it can't breath or where it can getdamp or moist.Either a bag with holes in it, aplasticbin (but not air tight) or even a sack is good, allstored in a dry place. I keep mine loose in paper bags.

Hope this helps!

sas

hello again and thanks a lot for the reply

I live in the Philippines and it's rather hard to find hay in myplace.. I believe there are other places here in my country like in afarm or something, but I live in a city and the petshops aren't allthat.

well, i got another emergency and I am in a panic mode right now. Willa little piece of rubber band hurt my bunny? I mean, if it was possiblethat she eat a small part of it... I let her out of her cage a whileago, but didn't see the rubber band because it was the same color asthe floor, and I just started to freak out when I was saw her chewingit, I took the rubber band immediately but she won't give it to me. Itappeared to be cut off already and I didn't know their teeth can chew arubber that fast. She started to chew, but I wasn't sure if she hadactually ate it.

help! I mean, I am trying my best to give her the safest and most comfortable place..

also, since New Year (the fireworks are VERY loud in here), she startedshaking... I was comforting her the whole time there were fireworks,but she was just shaking.. until now.. well, she acts normally. Shebinkies everytime she's out of her cage and when I put her favoritetoys in her cage, she eats and drinks normally, but when she rests, Inotice that she's shaking and her heartbeat is fast. Is she still inher trauma?

Is she still shaking? I would first recommendgetting her in a safe and quiet area. Maybe run a fan or something todrown out the noise if there are still fireworks. Is it possible sheswarm? That could cause increased breathing as well.

As far as the rubberband, how much did she ingest? If it was just alittle, I would just keep an eye on her. Make sure shes eatingregularly (maybe give her extra hay) and pooping normally. If she wonteat or cant poop, get her to a vet asap.

Also, it would be good to find a local vet who is good with rabbits, aswell as an emergency after hours vet. You want to be able to know whereto go before an emergency.

Hopefully someone else will have some more advice. If no one else seesthis, you may want to try posting something in the infirmary.

I'll be praying for your little one.

-Haley

hello again.... sorry it's been a long time since I replied on here.I've had a very slow connection these past few days and I couldn't getinto this site...

but now, it's fine...

anyway... thanks for all of your replies :D

days after I last posted, I got Taker her Kane! she has now aboyfriend... and they are so cute together.. the color of the buck isgray and he eats a lot... he's very fat and I wonder if he's obese (myclassmate took care of him because she wasn't able to give him to melast christmas).. but they got along very well, except for the firstday... Taker was mounting him!

but now, they're getting along very well.. I am yet to buy a bigger cage for them.

Glad to have you back!

Thats great that Taker has a friend to keep her company. One question:is one of them altered? It seems obvious, but you'd besurprised at the number of surprise pregnancies that happen aroundhere. Just checking :)

I hope we can see some pics of your little ones. They sound adorable :D

Is Kane neutered? If not, please donot keep them together. Rabbits can mate at 3 months,sometimes earlier and will have babies every four weeks. It'svery easy to get buried in bunnies and it's also very bad for the mom'shealth.

yup, Kane is neutered... well, at least that'swhat my classmate told me... is eating too much a sign of being 'notneutered'? is spay different from neuter?

I would double check to be sure. Ifyou are able to hold him on his back you should be able to tell. Wehave some pics in our resource center of what a boy looks like, but themain thing you will see if hes not neutered are the two large pink sacs.

Better safe than sorry!

I couldn't clearly see them, but I still want to be sure.. hehe.. maybe I will just get a hand from my brother.

thanks guys for your replies! :D

My bunnies and I really appreciate them ehehe:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back