New Bunny Not Hopping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gegepanalo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the community as I have only bought my pet bunny two days ago.

I would let him out in the morning and in the evening after I get home from work. He has a medium sized cage, and according to the pet shop, probably not more than 2 months old.

The problem I have been having with him is that I haven't seen him do proper hops, by that I mean, really skip around. So far he just stays huddled up to himself and sniffs around. Even more concerning is that he doesnt seem to be able to stand properly and keep sliding on our tiles or his cage. It is bizarre because our tiles our not that slippery, but he seems to not have traction on them.

Any comments?

All the best everyone.

Most buns take time to settle into a knew home. He may not be moving around as much because he is still scared of his new surroundings.

It also sounds like he is having trouble walking on the tile. Buns that are not used to smooth surfaces such as tile do tend to have trouble with traction. Buns can learn to walk on smooth surfaces but it will take time. To help the little guy out you can place some rugs around the room to give him areas where he will feel safer as he will have traction there. If you don't have rugs to use you could try something else such as towels or blankets.

I would say get him something easier to walk on (Blankets, carpet), especially considering it's a baby. Even if it seems like there is good traction on the tile, last thing you would want is your youngster developing splay leg, which can happen to babies on a slippery flooring.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Genetic/splayleg.htm

Has the bun been eating normally? Pooping? Peeing? Drinking?

Is he on his own ? Buns lije company and having a friend would be nicer for him , was he hooing about ok where you got him from? I would think hes very scared of his new surroundings and family and you will needvto soend lots of time with him bonding, you could get some carpet tiles to put outside his cage to help him they are quite cheap

I agree, he needs more traction! My buns have their own rugs (I got ones small enough that they can fit in my washing machine if need be.) and they run around like crazy on them. When they get to my doorway where the tile of our highway begins though, they start doing this sort of creeping walk and really slow down. I think with some rugs he'll have more confidence.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies! You were right, I got home that night and let him out, after a while of sniffing he started running around! I was so happy. Also it helped he was on our blue mats that have some texture on them for grip!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153062726600594&l=7923940238820928133

Can anyone tell me the breed of my bunny based on the video? here is a pic as well.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/74003_10153053100715594_2127513747_n.jpg

I called the pet store and they couldn't give me any answer besides "it is a local breed".

Thanks folks! New rabbit pet owner here.

I would say get him something easier to walk on (Blankets, carpet), especially considering it's a baby. Even if it seems like there is good traction on the tile, last thing you would want is your youngster developing splay leg, which can happen to babies on a slippery flooring.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Genetic/splayleg.htm

Has the bun been eating normally? Pooping? Peeing? Drinking?

The bunny has been eating normally as far as I can tell. He poops quite a bit. When I take him out of his cage he pees, might be because he is still nervous about his surroundings. Thanks for letting me know about the splay leg.

Here is where he lives, I've made a small bed with the top of a shoebox and some wood shavings, however he's made a mess of it as of this morning.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd....x480/998749_10153065801895594_440345654_n.jpg

Just a few tips. Buns tend to drink more from a water dish than a bottle. If you would want to replace the water bottle look for a dish that can attach to the cage or one that is heavy so that the bun can't flip it or move it around spilling water.

As far as the shoe box top. Buns are good at making messes given the chance. They like to dig. I have one that loves digging in the litter in the litter box.

What are you feeding your bun? As a young bun it should be getting unlimited hay and unlimited alfalfa pellets. If you give the bun anything different than what it was being fed before you brought it home you should slowly introduce it to the new food to keep from upsetting it's tummy.

You may want to litter train your bun as it helps to make it much easier having them in your home especially for when they are out of the cage.

Just a few tips. Buns tend to drink more from a water dish than a bottle. If you would want to replace the water bottle look for a dish that can attach to the cage or one that is heavy so that the bun can't flip it or move it around spilling water.

As far as the shoe box top. Buns are good at making messes given the chance. They like to dig. I have one that loves digging in the litter in the litter box.

What are you feeding your bun? As a young bun it should be getting unlimited hay and unlimited alfalfa pellets. If you give the bun anything different than what it was being fed before you brought it home you should slowly introduce it to the new food to keep from upsetting it's tummy.

You may want to litter train your bun as it helps to make it much easier having them in your home especially for when they are out of the cage.

Thanks for the tips Pagal, I will go and look for a dish for my bun.

Last night I spent some time training Mr. Brown (my bun), using a clicker app on my phone to respond to calls. I have seen some results but it requires more reinforcement I think. As for litter training I will try to research for the most effective way, but so far I have been picking up all his poop and putting it in the corner of the room where I have laid newspaper. Once in a while he approaches it and sniffs it.

I'm thinking of building it a 2 store house but that will be a big big project.

You can get inexpensive cat litter boxes and use a paper based bedding (no wood shavings, no cat litters). Rabbits learn using the boxes very quickly. I started in one room and put a box in each corner. Once the rabbit went in one box, I took some of the poop or soiled bedding and put it into the other boxes. She figured it out right away.
I agree with previous comments: be careful with the carrots and feed mostly good quality hay and alfalfa (alfalfa while it is young). Carrots are high in sugar and should be consider treats not regular diet. It can make them sick. You might want to consider adopting another young rabbit as a companion. Bonding is easier when both are so young and they are much happier in pairs (but you have to neuter them when they are old enough).
Mr. Brown is adorable!

Latest posts

Back