New bunny is constipated :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheChe224

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum. I bought a baby dwarf bunny yesterday from a petstore. It is only six weeks old. Anyway,it hasn't pooped yet and I'm pretty worried... it is still brand new to my home and seems to be pretty stressed out about everything. It also won't eat and I haven't seen it drink :( I'm just wondering if this is normal and if it will warm up to everything and start meeting its needs.

Thanks for listening. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chenise

That's definitely not normal and could already have caused problems.

6 Weeks is too young to be away from mum (not your fault, that's to dw ith the pet shop), so your bunny will probably be very frightened.

What food does your bunny have available?

I would suggest probably a visit to a rabbit savvy vet is necessary. Whereabouts are you?

I agree with Flashy, the baby bunny definitely needs to see a rabbit vet! Poor little baby :(

I hope you took your little bunny to the vet. I thinkyour vet would most likely give the little guy subqutaneous fluids with electrolytes in them as he is probably dehydated. Your bun probably also needs probiotics which are live organisms that live in the GI tracts. Usually the mom's milk contains substances that help the infant rabbits produce the "good bacteria" in their own guts.
When a baby is taken from the mom early (before 8 weeks) often he (baby) has not nursed long enough to have the ability to regulate the balance between the good and bad baacteria in his own Gi tract which can lead to problems. Most often it causes diarrhea which can be fatal ; hopefully your bun not pooping can be remedied by a little intervention by us humans.
if you have not taken the bun to the vet yet please let us know so we can attempt to help you with this at home.

Latest posts

Back