New Bunny Hasn't pooed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobismyturtle

Reaction score
Hi guys,I just got my new bunny yesterday,and he hasnt pooed or peed yet. He eats and drinks fine,and acts fine.(besides being a little scared of his new souroundings)So is there something wrong or does bunny need a visit to the vet tomorrow?

Are you sure that he has not peed or pooped somewhere that you did not see. usually this kind of problem could be beginning of stasis from stress and would eventually lead to him losing his appetite

Are you feeding him hay?

Another product that you can try is benebac whichhas natural microorganisms beneficial for a rabbit's GI system you can buy it at petco or petsmart

right now I would try not so stress him out more by handling him but leave him in a quiet room in his cage

if he is not a young baby rabbit you could feed a very small amount of greens like parsley

don't feed veggies if he is under 4 months

oberve him for the next few hours to see if maybe he will poop and pee before going into full force treatment mode.
Does he look like a really young rabbit ?

sometimes the stress of a change in surrondings will cause this ,I feed hay and pellets till rabbit has settled in before any treats, couple of days things are ok.

He is 1 year old. He pooped twice,and peed once.So I think he just was stressed out. Im leaving him alone for a few days.Accept today we let him out into the grass because he had never been in grass.I will keep you updated.

It's a good idea to give him time to adjust to his new surroundings. Be careful with the grass, as it can cause digestive upset if it's new to the bunny--ie don't let him eat a lot of it. Hay should be offered in large amounts, and keep an eye on him in the next few days. A dose of simethicone was needed for Benjamin as he developed gas from the stress of coming to our home, and I give my guys Bene-Bac whenever their digestive systems are off, so these might be good things to look into.

Thank you for the help guys!After he ate some fresh foods and pellets tonight he pooed normally. I'll post pictures of him in introductions sometime.Thanks again.

Back