New Bunny and 2 Jealous Dogs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleo3

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share a picture and seek some more advice on the very slow introduction between my 4 year old shiba inu, 6 year old schnauzer-pug mix and my 4 month old malelionhead. I was more concerned with the shiba because they were originally bred for hunting and also because she was VERY threatened when I started carrying/caring for this fuzzy "thing" that I brought home. I started with keeping the dogs leashed and introduced them (individually) to the free-roaming rabbit in a neutral area of the house. The rabbit investigated the dogs on his own terms and I was more or less in control of the dogs.

Since then, we've progressed to letting the the rabbit explore the rest of the house with both dogs unleashed, but still must monitor them closely. The dogs smell him compulsively and he doesn't really seem to mind. But once he gets comfortable and starts hopping around, the dogs get startled and want to play with him. That's usually when I have to intervene and end it.

18568_1212825283311_1309145987_30577572_7811582_n.jpg

While still a work in progress, I thought the picture turned out great and wanted to share! Any advice is welcomed. Have a good day!

you've obviously made a great start:D it seem to me that the dogs are picking up on the bunny's playfulness. i've seen it with my two labs - when they want to play they bow and stretch their front legs. if the bunny is giving off the same signals then the dog will try to play. the smelling is the dogs' way of checking him out.

i would continue being careful - your beautiful shiba is a hunting dog and that can be a powerful instinct to overcome. both my labs are also well trained and have grown up with rabbits, but i do watch them when they are with the bunnies. a dog's idea of play is a lot more dangerous for the rabbit then vice versa.

:)

It sounds like you've made a great start!

Something else you may want to try - have a dog sit next to you. When he looks at the rabbit, then looks back at you, give him a treat. Every time he looks at the rabbit calmly then turns his attention back to you, give him a treat. This might help to get the dogs' attention fixed back on you. Then if the bunny starts running around, you should be able to eventually get the dogs' attention and make them pay attention to you instead of chasing the bunny.

Wow your shiba inu and bunny are both adorable! I originally wanted a shiba, but decided against one because I was afraid it would be a problem around the rabbits. Now instead I have the world's biggest, most hyper papillon ever.

My dog is great around the bunnies, I taught him that he's not allowed to go near them if he's acting like a maniac. But I always make sure to supervise their interactions, because like hartleybun said, a dog's idea of playing is a lot rougher than a rabbits.

Latest posts

Back