New Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading your post last night about which litter you were getting your bunnies from....are they all related - as in brother and sisters? If so, then I can see how tailof2rabbits said "You have got to be kidding me." if s/he was meaning you're breeding them.

Are you breeding the girls to the boy? Or are you breeding the girls to other boys not related to them?

Emily

Very good, I was getting a little worried. Do you have any experience breeding rabbits? I thought it was interesting that you said you "have" to breed and show. You could simply show, too. I showed bunnies in 4H when I was younger, and we never felt the need to breed.
I would also suggest a large hay/litterbox, too... since I don't see one in the cage. It will give them another surface to get off the wire, make cleaning easier, and make for happier buns!
There is lots of useful information around here on breeding- be sure to read up :)
ps- love the name Fintan.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
j0292 wrote:
please explain to me how they are used in a 'project' :S

A "4-H Project" refers to the animal or something else thatyou exhibit. I show rabbits in 4-H and sheep and probably my horse next year, and they're reffered to as 4-H projects as well.

Tailof2rabbits, what do you mean when you say "You've got to be kidding me."???

Emily

oh yeah, ive heard of them before.
so basically, they let children be responsible for the care and breeding of all animals?

im sorry, but i really do think its a load of cack

j0292 wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
j0292 wrote:
please explain to me how they are used in a 'project'  :S

A "4-H Project" refers to the animal or something else that you exhibit. I show rabbits in 4-H and sheep and probably my horse next year, and they're reffered to as 4-H projects as well.

Tailof2rabbits, what do you mean when you say "You've got to be kidding me."???

Emily

oh yeah, ive heard of them before.
so basically, they let children be responsible for the care and breeding of all animals?

im sorry, but i really do think its a load of cack 

Meh...to put it straight, not a good choice of project if you ask me :? but anyway - adorable rabbits.

I know several youth breeders that do an excellent job of taking care of their animals and breeding top quality show rabbits. I think that it's an excellent idea for youth that are old enough to care for their bunnies to breed and show them. It teaches them genetics, husbandry, financialmanagement and keeps them out of trouble.

If they breed top quality show rabbits and socialize the kits they will have no problem placing the pets and selling the show prospects to other youth and open breeders. I have bought several nice rabbits from youth breeders.

Roger

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
I know several youth breeders that do an excellent job of taking care of their animals and breeding top quality show rabbits. I think that it's an excellent idea for youth that are old enough to care for their bunnies to breed and show them. It teaches them genetics, husbandry, financial management and keeps them out of trouble.

If they breed top quality show rabbits and socialize the kits they will have no problem placing the pets and selling the show prospects to other youth and open breeders. I have bought several nice rabbits from youth breeders.

Roger

I agree 110%, what I wouldnt suggest is somebody new to rabbits breeding as this person seems to be. I think for somebody to be "ready" to breed (not that anybody ever really is lol ) they should have at least a few years experience with rabbits.

You all make it sound like I carelessly chose the project. By no means would I tke on something that brings life into the world with ou tin depth research and help from experinced leaders. I would never do this project carelessly or without thought. I just don't think it is right for all of you to assume I am not going t odo the project properly.:(

PS I don't even think of them as project but rather my companions

Latest posts

Back