New Bunnie not Eating (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hgiljr

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new here. We rescued a bunny so we are new to them. We have had him/her for about two weeks and are having eating problems with the bunny. At first we feed it alfalfa pellets and hay as well as a cup of vegetables a day. The bunny was fine for a couple of days until his stool/poop was soft and multiple balls stuck together. I then researched and read to stop the pellets and just give the bunny vegetables. So the bunny would have the cup of vegetables twice a day. We leave it loose in the backyard, but does not leave a corner and does not eat any grass. Now it only eats some of the vegetables and hay but not as before. Still pooping some but not the amount of before. What can we do to help this little bunny out? Also we can tell that there has been weight loss. We feed timothy and bermuda grass. We really want it to be healthy... We live in SFLA if that helps.

Are the plants in your garden all rabbit safe? Did you introduce him to veg gradually and one by one? Does he have unlimited hay? Did he have veg before he came to you?

How does he act in himself?

Welcome to the forum :) Sorry for all the questions, I thought they might just help someone more knowledgable give you some advice.

Not much of a garden. All grass. We sure didn't introduce him to veggies gradually. We pretty much read online about them needing their veggies and that is what we started. He sure does have unlimited hay. He has a tray attached to the cage filled to the top with hay. As for his past, not sure. We found him in the street one night all wet from the rain and we picked him up before he was preyed on. As far as how does he act, he pretty much just stays calm in his corner these days. Not very active. When we first found him, he was acting much better. On warm days he just lays next to the water bottle. We read also that it is good for them to put something cool (like a frozen bottle water) so they can cool of on warm days. We did just that yesterday and he reacted to it by licking the cold water and resting on top of it. Hope I have posted all answers. Thanks again

I'm possibly thinking either some sort of parasite, or else some/one of the veges you give him is giving him gas and upsetting his gut. It's very important, when introducing any new food to do so very gradually and to monitor his poos to see whether or not he can tolerate that particular food, and then increasing it gradually.

I am not an expert, but I'm wondering if cutting out the veges would be a good start, and really pushing the hay.

My other thought is treating for gas with Simethicone, heat, massages, painkillers etc, but I'm not sure whether that would be right, so I'm hoping someone might come along and clarify whether or not that is a good idea.

The other option would be a vet, if it is a parasite, or if its not the veges.

It might be worth going into the nutrition and behaviour forum and reading the sticky about feeding your bun because that might help you a bit :)

This is probably really a random question, but have you ever used any fertilisers or anything in your garden/one your grass?

Yes I do fertilize my lawn but the funny thing I use alfalfa pellets to fertilize... I will cut out the veggies and just hay to see how he behaves and go from there. Any other help or opinions welcomed... Thanks

Where are you located?

I answered this this morning and apparently forgot to post it:?Sorry

I think that there are some rabbit owners who have been taught not to feed pellets. I personally feel that a rabbit needs a small amount of pellets daily in order to get the vitamins and minerals in them.
I feel that rabbits can have digestive upsets from a diet of too many veggies. I have experienced this myself.
rabbits can also have Gi problems from too many pellets

A lot of really good and varied hays and grasses are essential...anyway you look at it.

I think that you should decrease veggies, maybe elimanate them entirely for a few days, add a small amount of pellets and give a lot of hay.

Since you really don't know what your rabbit is eating in the yard could you take her in for a while in order to monitor her eating and pooping.??

Where is SFLA?

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Hi,

I would suggest getting your rabbit on a proper diet for it's estimated age. We often see rescued rabbits that have spent time outside have all sorts of issues with their cecums. Sometimes it takes time and a lot of support to get a "ready gut". I generally use a probiotic such as Bene-Bac to help stabilize the pH at a proper lever which will produce a favorable climate for benefical bacterial growth in the gut. I would have a qualified vet do a physical and that includes a fecal. While fecals are a bit inaccurate in looking for worms (we routinely treat for worms on all rescues regardless of the fecal) you are specifically looking for a couple of protozoans....coccidia, and since it appears you are in (I am assuming)South Florida...look for Giardia. The latter is something that most vets overlook but it is quite common in warmer climates and can survive outside a host for a long period of time. It is spread by infected feces and wild animals (especially raccoons) carry numerous parasites like this....and one of the parasites spread by raccoons is fatal to rabbits.You might not think you have wild animals in youryard....but you do. Giardia actually attaches itself to the walls of the intestinal tract and cause all sorts of potentially serious problems. There is one of the best House Rabbit Society chapters in the country in the South Florida area. Veterinary help is readily available in this area...I suggest using that benefit in this case.

Randy

Thanks everyone. I live in Miami and even though I leave the rabbit for some time lose in the backyard, it is mainly in a cage so it won't escape. As for its past life, I believe it belonged to someone since it was very tammed. I posted signs and no response. The poop is there and solid balls now. Will do a search for the rabbit society chapter down here and see if we can take the rabbit in for a checkup. Thanks again

I've read on this site for rabbits that are not eating like mine, that children's pedialyte using a syring should be used. Should I go this route since he is not eating? Thanks

That could help but you could also put some in a bowl. :)I am all for letting the bun drink and eat on its own if possible.

Just found a local vet from the HOuse rabbit society in SFLA and will be calling tomorrow. Just does not make me feel good seeing the rabbit this way esp. with the rapid breathing/heart rate. Not sure if this is normal. Again I am just seeing, did not listen to his heart with a thethoscope but as I look at his stomach area it is seems rapid. MAybe this is normal...

I am sadden to write this, but the poor fellow did not make it. Took him to the vet first thing this morning and the xray showed having a very bad case of pneumonia. Dr. Said to place him to sleep was the best option, but he didn't make it to that. At least I know we did everything possible for the rescued bunny that we found 2 weeks ago out on the streets all wet from the rain. I do appreciate everyones help on this forum.

I am so very sorry to read this. I had hoped he would pull through.

:hug:

I'm so sorry. You did your very best for him, and that is a wonderful thing. :rainbow:

Thanks everyone. We really appreciate all your support and condolences. I must say the Dr. at the vet clinic was really humane and you can see he cares a lot for rabbits. He is the main one that cares for ill rabbits and was very thorough in the explanation and behavior in sick rabbits, esp. that they do not show any illness like other animals and humans until they are very sick. Thanks again...

Sorry to hear he passed- I am so glad you had him in the end though and he was seen by a good vet. It is nice when these little buns don't die alone, you did such a huge thing for him.
:rainbow:

Latest posts

Back